What's new
What's new

Bunch of Solberga drill press questions

Ultradog MN

Cast Iron
I bought this SE 725 drill press back in April.
I love the thing but it was for a multi head table and I would really like to get it off my welding table and onto a proper floor type column.
For those guys who have these drills what is the collar - about half way up the column for. Second photo. Can you separate the upper and lower halves there? If you can separate them how do they come apart.
This unit has a large, square flange that you bolt to the table. How does the flange artach to the column? I did not look underneath when I installed it.
This column is 110mm. If I removed the square base from my column would it attach to a 110mm floor type column at that collar?
I thought this model was rated as a 22" swing.
But where do I measure from? From the rack that raises and lowers the head to the center of the drill bit I get ~11 1/4". From the column itself I get about 12 1/4"
Which measurement is the right one and is this drill a 22"?
Lastly, does anyone know what other Solberga models would have the same swing that this one has? If a guy is pipe dreaming about finding a base he may as well pipe dream for one with the right swing.
Thanks for any help.

Solberga-26194-1-510x510.jpeg.jpg
2022-09-08_05_19_36.jpg

Attachments

• 2022-05-31_03_05_57.jpg
    2022-05-31_03_05_57.jpg
    885.3 KB · Views: 10
On the colomn drilling machines you could raise the head and lower the table seperatly
The collar in the middle is to seperate the rack for table and head
Good luck finding a colomn with the right diameter and about the right swing
Not per se from a multi head BTW These were also available as a table model

Peter

For those guys who have these drills what is the collar - about half way up the column for. Second photo. Can you separate the upper and lower halves there?
As Peter noted, the collar holds the end of one of the racks. The collar (and rack) will probably rotate on the column when the table is rotated. The column will be one complete length top to bottom. They are not intended to be joined anywhere.

You could perhaps use solid 110mm bright round mild steel for a column, but you would still need a table. Maybe time to look for another machine?

I thought this model was rated as a 22" swing. But where do I measure from? From the rack that raises and lowers the head to the center of the drill bit I get ~11 1/4". From the column itself I get about 12 1/4"
Which measurement is the right one and is this drill a 22"?
The capacity would usually be measured from the column to the centre of the spindle, i.e. the actual distance a workpiece would fit between column and spindle centre.
In your case the distance sounds like 12 1/4", so the "swing" would probably be given as 24". I have a few Swedish drill brochures and they specify the distance between column and centre of spindle, not the 'swing'.

To show the collar, this is another Swedish drill press, a 'Nider':

Nider drill press 01a.jpg

Nider drill press 01.jpg

Last edited:

Back