What's new
What's new

Calling all South Bend 11's

Question about the size of the 11” tailstock spindle

What is the size of the OD and the amount of travel of the tailstock spindle on the 11” ??
Thanks
Ted

My 27B is 1.185" OD with 3.150" travel.

The reason I asked was that I found a tailstock spindle in my parts collection that is odd to me. It is 1.125” diameter, a little longer than a 9” South Bend, and a smaller thread. I don’t know of any South Bend that uses that size. Anybody know of a tailstock that uses 1.125” OD?
Thanks,
Ted

Wondering hoe this works how com we can not jus coppy and past pictures

Somewhat accidentally, I find myself a new member of the South Bend 11 inch club and am so happy to have found this resource. 13 years ago a friend gave me the lathe when he upgraded to a Monarch. The South Bend languished in pieces in my basement until about six weeks ago when I got the bug to put it together. I thought I knew what I had as in all apparent ways it resembles the South Bends in my high school shop many decades ago and it was only when I measured the swing and did some research that I realized what an odd duck this is. The serial number is 77801, which puts year of manufacture about 1937.

While pretty high-milage the machine is in uniformly fairly good shape and I think will meet my rather modest needs. It's chief advantage is that it's already here and works. I've come to appreciate (accept?) its vintage aspect.

So far I've disassembled and cleaned the apron, cross-slide, compound-rest and tailstock, replacing all oil wicks and repainting as necessary. I put a bushing in the carriage-feed handwheel bearing as it was VERY floppy and added an oil hole there, too. The headstock and spindle appear to be in very good shape so I have decided not to touch them (other than adjusting the back gears) for now.

The machine came with 3 and 4-jaw chucks and a steady rest, the latter of particular use to me as I expect to do a lot of tubing facing and cutting of standoffs to length, in addition to simple turning and boring of small pieces. I ordered a carriage stop from someone on eBay and plan make a spindle stop to facilitate these processes.

I also would like to use a crotch center, which I already have, to cross-drill cylindrical work. Alas the lathe did not come with a spindle adapter to MT. I've experimented with chucking a straight-arbor Jacobs chuck in the 3-jaw and with a little finesse I can get a TIR of ~.005, which might do it for my crude use. I can always chuck the chuck in the 4-jaw and center it but it would be really nice just to have a spindle to MT2 adapter. I might get a quote from Miller or get my friend with the Monarch to help me make one.

Along these lines I would like to verify that the taper of the spindle bore is indeed .0502, same as MT3. All for now.

--Frank

SB11.jpg

Looks nice Frank what is the model number?

You ask the hard questions. My best guess is that it's a 133-B. This is based on a printed reproduction of the 1934 South Bend Catalog number 94. There are three little holes, that look like they may have secured a nameplate, in the spacer-block that goes between the tailstock-end of the bed and the chip pan and foot. There is no model number on the thread/feed plate on the gearbox or anywhere else that I've found.

I fitted it with an Aloris BXA-series toolpost and did my first actual project yesterday which was an adapter for one of those "milling attachments" that goes in place of the compound rest. I don't really foresee any use for it but it looked like a reasonable turning project to test the lathe and to help me remember how to use one.

The part turned out well but I had some unanticipated chatter problems when taking larger cuts. "The Cutting Power of South Bend Lathes" on page 45 of the catalog claims a diameter reduction of .5 in. in a single cut on steel. I was getting more like .02 before things got ugly and would have been happy with .1 There are many variables, of course, and I'll keep troubleshooting.

--Frank

Another new member here. Just bought an 84-A a week ago. # 37965N ... bed casting: 12 1927
Serial number database would likely make it a 1928.
Previous owner got it from Dalhousie University, NS. Apparently, this was the engineering professor's lathe and it got stored away for many years and was found again during a renovation project a handful of years ago. It's in quite good condition overall. The previous owner had to fabricate a new motor mount and jackshaft for it. Likely, it would have been in a shop with a shared jackshaft set-up. He also fabricated a square tube base for it.

IMG_20210824_222559.jpg

IMG_20210824_222845.jpg

Mounted two lengths of angle inside the legs to support a catch tray and also relocated the zip tied switch a bit further to the right and also a bit higher and is now bolted on.
IMG_20210829_000124.jpg

Finally got my 11 fully functional. Going through odds and ends that came with it. It came with these collets and adapter. Based on my research they are either "2B" or "Becker" collets. Unfortunately I don't have the drawtube. Apparently these are odd collets? Strange to use such small collets on a lathe this large? Some are marked; H Bros, Hardinge, Dale, AWT Co.
3d9dadd0c68f225f82eb7ded4c56a856.jpg
65c74cf49cf3c2781a6514da49a0d84e.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 8 V 5G UW using Tapatalk

Finally got my 11 fully functional. Going through odds and ends that came with it. It came with these collets and adapter. Based on my research they are either "2B" or "Becker" collets. Unfortunately I don't have the drawtube. Apparently these are odd collets? Strange to use such small collets on a lathe this large? Some are marked; H Bros, Hardinge, Dale, AWT Co.

Those collets are more likely a "2S", the 2B has internal threads.

I have a draw tube and collets but I still need the adapter. If you aren't planning on making use of them I might be interested in taking them off your hands as long as the price were reasonable. You can PM me if interested.

Thanks,

-Ron

bjt0055 I just wanted to add some of your info with the pictures. Model 363-Y serial number 32,157

If you could add some dimensions of the holder may help others in the future.

Howdy,

New to the forum.
I acquired a 1927 11x3 333-Y SN 36232 a couple months ago....in boxes. I'm looking forward to the assembly and restoration this winter. The lathe is missing a couple items. I've been trolling CL and eBay since July, but the parts I'm looking for are challenging to say the least:
Legs - the previous owner sold them for a steampunk project. Arggh. Currently, the lathe is mountd to a HD metal stand, but I'd really like to get it back on original legs. (I have the coolent pan)
Pair of chucks. My lather only came with a backing plate. I'd like to stay vintage with a Wescott, Skinner, Craftsman (Watson) or others. I'm a hobbiest and don't need to do high tolerance work nor do I want to spend a ton on a new chucks for a part time hobby. Desired: 6" 3-jaw scroll and 8" 4-jaw. Spindel (as you guys know) is 1 5/8"x8tpi. Many thanks.

A quick follow-up to message above. Of course, minutes after posting I found a 6" Westcott 3-jaw on eBay. It's in the hands of UPS and should arrive soon. Downside/upside, is I get to make an adapter plate. That should be fun!
It seems photos are always welcome so I've attached a pic of the 11x3 lathe. Enjoy.
IMG_2814 grey.jpg

Wondering what most of you people are using for a QC on your 11"s (1928), AXA or BXA? It's originally using 1/4" tool bits and I measured approximately 1-1/4" from top of compound to C/L of chuck. The compound is 3" wide.
Thanks, Ray

I'm using a BXA on my 11". You have to drop it down fairly low but the AXA I had on before need to be a bit on the high side. I stayed with the BXA because I figure it's larger size and footprint would be more rigid.

FWIW

-Ron

Back