What's new
What's new

CAM Recommendations for 2 axis gang tool lathe

F35Machinist

Aluminum
I'm looking for easy to use and hopefully cheap cam software for my gang tool fanuc lathe. I currently have fusion 360, but I don't find it very easy to use for turning. I often have to change the code or code by hand entirely. I'm looking for any recommendations for lathe cam that is easy to use. I tried dophincam, but couldn't get it to import my geometry properly. I'm looking for something user friendly and inexpensive.

What do you need to change from the Fusion code? The post processor is for a generic Fanuc output, but editing the post to give you what you're looking for isn't "that" difficult..
I use Fusion for my twin spindle Lync w/CY, very little editing, if any.

My biggest issue is with grooving. The linking moves are often wrong and the coordinates are even wrong for some grooves depending on the tool and geometry. It doesn't allow for M4 on ID turning, but I think that could potentially be remedied in the post processor (or maybe not). For easy parts, hand coding ends up being easier the second I hit any roadblock in fusion. I can see how it might work for turret lathes, but it is just too clunky for gang tool setups. The simulation doesn't show the actual tool positions. I would consider myself very proficient on the mill side, but I just haven't had much luck on the lathe side.

I haven't used SmartCAM in 15 years but when I did use it I did a ton of lathe programming with it and I would go back to it in a second if I were in your situation.

Back