What's new
What's new

Can all VFDs convert single phase to 3 phase?

crtten

Aluminum
I have a 240 volt 10hp 3 phase air compressor that I’m trying to run using a VFD. I only have 240 volt single phase service.

I have found a used VFD locally that is made for 30 hp motors. The make/model is ABB ACS401603022. I read through the manual and in the wiring guide it states that the input power supply should be 3 phase with a note: “Do not use in 1~ supply!”

I’m taking this to mean that it can only use 3 phase power input and not single phase.

I was under the impression that all VFDs could convert single phase to 3 phase, and you simply derate the VFD by half if you are using a single phase input.

Am I wrong?

Usually only the smaller HP VFD’s can run off of single phase. There may be some specific models in the higher HP range that can but most won’t. You will babe to look at the specs.

This is a document from Fuji that states their 3 phase VFD's have UL approval for single phase supply, with reduced ratings per the table attached.
My interpretation would be that most 3-ph VFD's are capable of running off 1-ph.
Talk to ABB and try to understand why their manual has this statement.
Bob

not everything will work on 1 phase.
better off not to buy it and get a 7.5hp or less single phase. basically just wasting $.
how big is your power supply 1 phase?

not everything will work on 1 phase.
better off not to buy it and get a 7.5hp or less single phase. basically just wasting $.
how big is your power supply 1 phase?
Power supply is residential 200 amp service.

The 30 hp VFD is used and only $250, so I figured it was worth it if it was able to run on single phase. I have contacted ABB to see if that is the case or not.

"In principle" any VFD can run off single or 3 phase. The incoming voltage is "rectified" to DC, so the input type is "in theory" irrelevant.

In actual practice, the design of the thing determines whether it can use single phase at full power, at reduced power, or not at all. There may be any of a number of good reasons why it might not. Or, there may simply be a "phase loss" detector that requires 3 phase input regardless of any other issue.

The key is what the manual says. If it is possible, most manuals will state that, and give the conditions of use.

Sometimes, the device can, but the manual does not say so. Then you are "on your own".

Since that one says specifically that it will not use single phase, there is the answer. Move on to plan B.

The simple and foolproof way of deciding this is to look at the manual and see if that usage is listed. Many small power VFDs will run on single phase, and some will even accept 120V input.

Once you get above 5 HP, it is probably not going to be an option, and even 3 HP may not allow it. There are exceptions to any rule, however.

"In principle" any VFD can run off single or 3 phase. The incoming voltage is "rectified" to DC, so the input type is "in theory" irrelevant.

In actual practice, the design of the thing determines whether it can use single phase at full power, at reduced power, or not at all. There may be any of a number of good reasons why it might not. Or, there may simply be a "phase loss" detector that requires 3 phase input regardless of any other issue.

The key is what the manual says. If it is possible, most manuals will state that, and give the conditions of use.

Sometimes, the device can, but the manual does not say so. Then you are "on your own".

Since that one says specifically that it will not use single phase, there is the answer. Move on to plan B.

The simple and foolproof way of deciding this is to look at the manual and see if that usage is listed. Many small power VFDs will run on single phase, and some will even accept 120V input.

Once you get above 5 HP, it is probably not going to be an option, and even 3 HP may not allow it. There are exceptions to any rule, however.

Check out the Fuji document I posted above. They have one rated at 20 hp on single phase supply (very high amps !).
Bob

For future googlers, I contacted ABB about the ACS401603022 VFD, and it does indeed run fine off of single phase power, you simply derate the HP rating by 50%. So it could run a 15 hp motor.

Thank you to everyone that posted here.

BE CAREFUL!
The ACS400 series was obsoleted over 20 years ago, so it is HIGHLY likely that this drive has been sitting unpowered for years. When that happens, you MUST perform what is called a "capacitor reforming procedure" on the drive PRIOR TO EVEN CONNECTING LINE POWER TO IT! Even applying power to it before doing so will pop the capacitors inside and ruin the drive.

Capacitor reforming is done with a variable power supply (Variac), which most people do not have available to them. Some motor shops now have them, most do not. The Variac must also be capable of being adjusted, SLOWLY, to the maximum line voltage that the drive is rated for, in your case I assume 230V.

BE CAREFUL!
The ACS400 series was obsoleted over 20 years ago, so it is HIGHLY likely that this drive has been sitting unpowered for years. When that happens, you MUST perform what is called a "capacitor reforming procedure" on the drive PRIOR TO EVEN CONNECTING LINE POWER TO IT! Even applying power to it before doing so will pop the capacitors inside and ruin the drive.

Capacitor reforming is done with a variable power supply (Variac), which most people do not have available to them. Some motor shops now have them, most do not. The Variac must also be capable of being adjusted, SLOWLY, to the maximum line voltage that the drive is rated for, in your case I assume 230V.

Thank you for the heads up. I had no idea capacitors aged like that.

BE CAREFUL!

This is 100% correct. As a former ABB VFD distributor, I can say with certainty you will have issues if you do not follow the procedures recommended by Jraef.

I have seen stored VFDs put back into "service" after storage for years (spare VFDs for critical processes) fail catastrophically because they were not serviced annually (caps reformed).

Nothing worse than having a customer call at 2AM frantically looking for a replacement VFD, and there is nothing to be had. I always tell them they need to follow the manufacturer's guidance on the PM stuff. Most don't listen.

Another thing with the obsolete ACS400 series. The power supplies have standard electrolytic caps and they "age out" also. ESR changes, and the caps die. This is quiet VFD end, compared to a bus cap failure.

Be careful with that very old VFD.

Last edited:
I do want to mention that the capacitor plague was quite a while ago, and while reforming is still a good idea, preemptive capacitor replacement or aging concerns isn't necessarily a concern for anything made in the last 15 years or so.
Not totally relevant for this drive, but good capacitors don't "wear out" like the plaguey capacitors.

It is not "wearing out" for the most part, at least not for needing re-forming. When the capacitors sit without voltage, the insulating coating that was developed on them in manufacture can break down a bit. You do not know how much "a bit" is.

Newer capacitors are much better at staying good. But, you are going to apply voltage to them anyway, you may as well do it slowly the first time, in order to allow the insulating layer to build up again.

I was more talking about preemptive capacitor replacement. It's not such an issue anymore with anything made after the early 2000s. The dielectric doesn't go bad. The oxide layer will still degrade over time without power.

If you like watching paint dry, I have a youtube video where I reform the caps in a VFD using the variac method

The VFD will most likely turn on around 60% rated voltage with an undervoltage error.

I've found most VFD's will run on single phase, even higher (600v) ones, as JST said you may need to set a parameter to ignore the input phase fault. Always best to read the manual and derate the drive. The video above shows reforming a 20hp 600v drive, currently in use on a 10 hp motor running off single phase.

Although I think $250 for a 20 year old drive is crazy. I'd off $50.

Back