What's new
What's new

Can anyone help ID these digital calipers (largest calipers I have ever seen)

SShep71

Hot Rolled
Welp, here I am needing some help for a seemingly stupid ebay purchase. I bought these calipers of ebay a few months ago. They were listed as Mitutoyo calipers on the listing, however, after them sitting in the corner for a while and staring at them I really doubt they are Mitutoyo. Actually, I am pretty damn sure they aren't. I think I know what company made them, however, either way I need to find out the make/model/date that the caliper is. The caliper started acting funny a little while after I got them, I took the unit apart and cleaned the board and everything but now the readout is erratic when I move the jaw. I have rebuilt a lot of digital and dial calipers in the past, and I am rather familiar with the process and cleaning method. This unit differed as it had copper shims in between the board and the caliper bar. These are the same images from the ebay ad as I am not at the shop right now to take pictures. Below is the link to the original auction listing. I would really hope that whatever company did make the calipers would have some input as to how to fix them. If you can help I am grateful.

One last thing: I did reach out (more than once) to the seller after I received them about how he/she came up with Mitutoyo as the brand, but of-course no response. Here is the original listing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184392830919

s-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (6).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpgs-l1600 (7).jpg

Counterfeit Stuff

Well to my guess they are not Mitoyo. I have several pair Mits (Not nearly as large.) and they bear no resemblance.

I run into the problem of conterfits often (I am an electrical guy as well as a machinist. Fluke is primary example especially when it comes to leads and clips. You can usually tell by price. It a safety issue primarily. When I am working in 600 VAC range, I want proper leads and connectors, I hate when things melt or let the smoke out.

It will cost a few more dollars and intimate knowledge of what you are dealing with test leads or veiners.

This counterfeit issue really pushes my buttons.

Best remeny (Not the cheapest, but in my case a bad counterfeit could cause some serious personal injury.) Yours a ruined part.
Find an authorized dealer pay more, yes, but you are then assured of getting the real mccoy.

Last edited:
Many Chinese caliper manufacturers used to copy the older styles of Mitutoyo calipers rather than the new ones. It's only been in the last few years that they were bold enough to steal current designs.

Older Mitutoyo calipers also have the copper shims, however that cover doesn't look like any MIt caliper I've ever run into.
As far as the problems you're seeing, are there signs of any exposed copper on the circuit board where the green coating rubbed off? If so, a dab of clear nail polish will properly isolate it.

I think they calipers are Fowler, but I wanted to get some other opinions. I know the nail polish trick, there are no wear through signs on the back of the board. There was a damaged trace on the board that I had to repair, other than that the board looks fine.

I think they calipers are Fowler, but I wanted to get some other opinions. I know the nail polish trick, there are no wear through signs on the back of the board. There was a damaged trace on the board that I had to repair, other than that the board looks fine.

I'll bite. What's the nail polish trick? Thanks.

I'll bite. What's the nail polish trick? Thanks.
Some printed circuit boards have a conformal coating. It insulates the traces on the PCB like insulation on a wire. You can use nail polish to repair the coating. Pretty sure I've seen conformal coatings in paint pens before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

"Steal current designs" ... wtf is wrong with you imbeciles ? They're calipers fer godssakes. That's like "stealing the design" of a pair of socks.

Talk about indoctrinated, fuck.
Geez, dude. No need to call people names. Google "theft of intellectual property".

They look just like the Chinese no name 40" calipers I bought years ago. I suspect the lady called them Mitutoyo the same way ignorant people call any small airplane a Cub.
Used for length of shafts they are accurate enough for that, but check a long stack of gage blocks because I wouldn't trust the flimsy accuracy report they come with.
I trust my 48" vernier calipers more.

They look just like the Chinese no name 40" calipers I bought years ago. I suspect the lady called them Mitutoyo the same way ignorant people call any small airplane a Cub.
Used for length of shafts they are accurate enough for that, but check a long stack of gage blocks because I wouldn't trust the flimsy accuracy report they come with.
I trust my 48" vernier calipers more.

Most likely it was not intentional and the lady was told this from someone who did not know either. Perhaps they had Mititoyo in smaller calipers they are popular. Quite often for over 24 inches they may be used for specific jobs and people do not like to spend much. So Fowler could be the case yet I suspect it is not Fowler as I have not seen one even half that length.

A really top notch quality will have known makers and their brand on them. They most likely are knockoffs yet legal ones. EG is likely right even though he was cursing it.

He means well sometimes I bet he just has too many girlfriends over there and they might all be trying to civilize him. Myself I would have considered buying a brand name Verniers if they were available they may be well priced too because many can not read them and do not want to learn either.

Geez, dude. No need to call people names. Google "theft of intellectual property".
Hmmm. Since China had calipers (bronze, not wood like the Greeks in the 6th century B.C.) graduated in inches and tenths of inches in 9 A.D., maybe you should google "imaginary property". Starrett, thief ! thief ! thief !
43391ab4ad649aa4185794b2f5fc98ca.jpg

I swear to god you people and your imaginary property are so fucking stupid. Digital calipers have been around for at least forty years. A patent is good for fourteen.

It's public domain now, dickcheese. That's the entire rationale for patents and imaginary property, to create more useful devices for the public to have and use. Free.

Blithering idiots :(

To say nothing of the fact that everyone here who's ever made a repair part has "stolen imaginary property" by your idiot viewpoint. It's crap. Crap crap crap stupid.

Don't they make you graduate from third grade before they cut you loose on the world anymore ?

Wow, never been that angry over calipers!! I would hate to see what happens when you have a real problem. It's easy to call out someone from the safety of your computer screen and I think it's probably safe to say that the same wouldn't happen in person. By the way, those calipers are older SPI's, i have a set just like it.

I used to use a lathe with dro in work, stub in the Chuck, another in the toolpost, run the saddle up, touch and zero, cheap and cheerful when you didn’t have a big calliper, even the travadial one was pretty good, however it looks like the cheap calliper I used to have (cheap being relative for a 5’ long calliper, it wasn’t mitutoyo but good enough, I seem to remember 400 of our pounds) a mitutoyo was 2500, not a bad thing to have about even if it’s not super accurate, think my 300 mm gets used the most, jaws are just the right depth. However the vernier scale was french wasn’t it?, perrie vernier or some such,
Mark

Hmmm. Since China had calipers (bronze, not wood like the Greeks in the 6th century B.C.) graduated in inches and tenths of inches in 9 A.D., maybe you should google "imaginary property". Starrett, thief ! thief ! thief !
43391ab4ad649aa4185794b2f5fc98ca.jpg

I swear to god you people and your imaginary property are so fucking stupid. Digital calipers have been around for at least forty years. A patent is good for fourteen.

It's public domain now, dickcheese. That's the entire rationale for patents and imaginary property, to create more useful devices for the public to have and use. Free.

Blithering idiots :(

To say nothing of the fact that everyone here who's ever made a repair part has "stolen imaginary property" by your idiot viewpoint. It's crap. Crap crap crap stupid.

Don't they make you graduate from third grade before they cut you loose on the world anymore ?
TL;DR
148eaa288bec9b1db12ff9b5d801e398.jpg

Yeah a real mouth frother. Probably rabies from biting off bats heads.
Fury at the stupidity of all you nitwits. Why did I pay taxes for schools, if this is the result ?

Run away and hide now, you two-faced blithering idiots, but upfront it was (self)righteous anger over "stolen imaginary property" .... for a pair of socks.

Stupid stupid stupid mouth-breathing assholes. Ignorant mouth-breathing trailer-trash toothless inbred assholes. Why don't you just stay in bed and fuck your sister again instead of posting all this retarded garbage ?

"This counterfeit issue really pushes my buttons.

Best remeny (Not the cheapest, but in my case a bad counterfeit could cause some serious personal injury.) Yours a ruined part.
Find an authorized dealer pay more, yes, but you are then assured of getting the real mccoy."

Eat shit and die.

Fury at the stupidity of all you nitwits. Why did I pay taxes for schools, if this is the result ?

Run away and hide now, you two-faced blithering idiots, but upfront it was (self)righteous anger over "stolen imaginary property" .... for a pair of socks.

Stupid stupid stupid mouth-breathing assholes. Ignorant mouth-breathing trailer-trash toothless inbred assholes. Why don't you just stay in bed and fuck your sister again instead of posting all this retarded garbage ?

"This counterfeit issue really pushes my buttons.

Find an authorized dealer pay more, yes, but you are then assured of getting the real mccoy."

Eat shit and die.
I heard a Brit call this "throwing a wobbly".

I heard a Brit call this "throwing a wobbly".
Better than playing the banjo, loser. You were all in a self-righteous huff about something that's been common since the sixth century B.C. Something that predates Mitutoyo, from the same country that brought you Pearl Harbor, by at least two thousand. "Stolen IP !" how fucking stupid can you people get and still remember to breathe ?

Dipshit. Makes me ashamed to admit I'm from the US.

Back