What's new
What's new

Can anyone help ID these digital calipers (largest calipers I have ever seen)

Fury at the stupidity of all you nitwits. Why did I pay taxes for schools, if this is the result ?

Run away and hide now, you two-faced blithering idiots, but upfront it was (self)righteous anger over "stolen imaginary property" .... for a pair of socks.

Stupid stupid stupid mouth-breathing assholes. Ignorant mouth-breathing trailer-trash toothless inbred assholes. Why don't you just stay in bed and fuck your sister again instead of posting all this retarded garbage ?

"This counterfeit issue really pushes my buttons.

Best remeny (Not the cheapest, but in my case a bad counterfeit could cause some serious personal injury.) Yours a ruined part.
Find an authorized dealer pay more, yes, but you are then assured of getting the real mccoy."

Eat shit and die.

Hey you fucking retard want to be "Enemy of the State" 1984 called and they want the book you stole from them back. You suck shit.

Well this seems to have gotten off track quick, however, just to update. I did hear back from Fowler, not theirs but they are similar. The search continues. I really have only used these a few times to measure the car frame I am working on, they beat the hell out of the other tool I made to measure it. To be completely transparent about them: I thought they would be cool to hang on the wall at 96" long, but then I started using them and now the wall remains barren. I know there are Vernier calipers out there with a large capacity. That being said, I haven't seen anything else with this large of a capacity, hence, the purchase. I am a dense with resiliency, and I don't like to give up when something else can always be done. If anything I will take the caliper apart and see if I can find out what else can be causing the issue. I still need to build a case for them, so there is that.

@Ron Hofer: in regards to the nail polish trick.
Like mentioned the conformal coating does wear off on boards in which there is the possibility of wear through contact. The worn through coating can cause issues especially in cases where small deviations in conductivity or resistance values can affect operation. I used nail polish to repair a set of Mitutoyo ABS Digimatic calipers in the past. It worked, it wasn't the best repair in terms of being the MFR spec way but it got the job done. Just to redress this a little, there are small conformal coating "pen" style dispensers, the coating is UV curable and works great. I went back and made a more permanent repair on the calipers with the the coating and while there is no difference in the performance, the repair looks more professional. I have used it for a few other repairs on circuit boards in where a trace has gone bad and needed repair.

@partsproduction: regarding accuracy
I wouldn't use these for anything super critical, I am not doing anything that requires the type of accuracy that these calipers can't provide. I don't know the exact accuracy at this point as I haven't tried to measure anything significant yet. Although once I get them working, I will have my neighbor use his CMM to check them just for grins.

@Trueturning: With regards to the misidentification
I don't think the misidentification was out of malice, I just wish some people would be more adept at answering messages. There are another set of calipers the seller has (which are Mitutoyo) that I am interested in, however, I just don't need them desperately enough to warrant another dice roll. There may have been marking on the tag which previously inhabited the rear of the case, but it was long gone by the time the caliper got to me. The caliper face does have some very light semblance of a name brand on it, but I cannot clearly read it and therefore I do not want to assume.

@bamabo: regards to the SPI identification
In regards to the SPI identification, AND ONLY THE SPI IDENTIFICATION (the rest is between you and EG). Thanks for the heads up, I will shoot them an email and post the response. Hopefully maybe they can come through.

Edit: I just tried to reach out to SPI but the website I have (Web Server's Default Page) is either down or defunct. Does anyone have any more updated website, or did this just become the Grail Quest?

Gobo, Bamabo, EmanuelGoldstein....any chance I can get you guys to back off before this heats us anymore and MY thread gets locked and I get screwed?

Hey you fucking retard want to be "Enemy of the State" 1984 called and they want the book you stole from them back. You suck shit.
And your mom wears combat boots, but I notice not a single one of you upright patriots with shops full of Jap equipment has anything to say that would stand up to scrutiny about the repeated claim that a pair of calipers is imaginary property theft.

It was beneath stupid, and says quite a bit about the people supporting it.

The internet is rife with counterfit Mitutoyo digital calipers.The one here is not a counterfit.It is not marked the name and looks nothing like a genuine Mit so it isn't a copy.

The counterfits a few years ago were hard to tell from the ads pictures but the caliper in hand was easy to tell. One thing they had in common was the inch display only went to 3 places all the Mits go to 4. So the sellers only show the display in metric which is 2 places or they use a picture of a real Mitutoyo.

I just ordered and recieved a 12" " Mitutoyo" and the ad picture showed a 4 place inch display. For $79 instead of $400 I figured I would take a chance and even if they were not real for my use they will do.

I had my like new 8"coolant proof damaged when I was checking some stock in one of our racks and some idiot put a 3/4" piece of scrap on the upper level and I must have bumped something and it fell right on the 3" mark and damaged the scale. No one was around so I cried and cursed a little over my $250 Mits. Hence the reason for buying the cheepies ,I won't cry if they get screwed up.

Now back to the counterfit calipers.I was really surprised at the fit and finish. The paper work serial no matched the caliper(all the fakes I'd seen don't).Came with sr44 batterys most fakes don't.It supposedly came from Japan The inch display goes to 3 places + sub 5 for 1/2 thou.I can't tell visually what the difference is,even the plastic case looks and feels the same.Battery life will tell as the Mits usually last a few years.The Fowler 24" company caliper we have to remove the battery after use or it will be dead the next time we need it.

I have 3 Mits coolant proofs and I think they are the best made, I just don't feel like spending so much this late in the game.

EG do you even know what the word counterfit means?

I do the same for measuring raw stock or instances in which there are things moving/shifting. Cheap calipers, or old calipers that have since been replaced. I keep my good calipers in the case unless they are actively being used. I have a set of measuring tools for general work and a separate set of measuring tools for the stuff that really counts. It is smart insurance for a small price to ensure the important stuff stays important.

Mine are no name chinese, a 20" and a 40". There is an off-on button but that only turns off the display, which eats a button battery every five years, the number counter inside is always on to some degree I believe. The 20" gave up after about ten years, could be the ocean air where I live.
My rule (:D)) is always define closer than a customer will ever need to and if I can't tell him so. But if you look at certification papers that come with many measuring tools you may see something like "+/- .00012" per inch", so the longer the distance is the more likely it is that there is an accrued error building up. And that specification sheet, if it's not just a printed sheet they send with every caliper (Who's going to sue them?) it was still only valid the day it left the factory, and probably on while still on the factory property.

EG do you even know what the word counterfit means?
Yes, means it's a left-hand thread ... counterfeit, tho, I always have a problem with !

Sorry, couldn't help myself, my typing sucks too so just pulling your leg a little :D

(There's a difference between US and China with counterfeit money tho. In China they hand it back, "Nope, this is phony, go try some other fool." In the US they confiscate it, or call the cops and have them stand on your neck for nine minutes.)

Back