What's new
What's new

Can anyone help with DRO issues

Paul KMDS

Plastic
I have just purchased a used Bridgeport style Milling Machine form an auction which appears to work ok, the machine came with a Mitutoyo 2 axis DRO, but measures wrong. I believe that the DRO counter can be corrected, but I cannot get any information on this or where to get an operation manual for the DRO.

The model is a Mitutoyo PM-32L 164 Series, can anyone please help me on how to carry out the correction function, or has anyone got a manual or a copy I could purchase from them, which also would be useful for the other DRO functions.

Thanks Paul

It sounds like he means that the DRO needs a compensation adjustment, but I guess we'll have to wait for a better explanation. The older Mitutoyo DRO I've got has that ability so I'm sure that this one has a way to do it also. OP how are you testing the accuracy of the DRO? Ideally you'd want to use an indicator and a stack of gage blocks or something similar.

Having a decent vise that is square to the axis you might set two accurately measured somethings in your vise. Indicate to the first to zero the indicator, then pull that one and travel to indicate zero to the next.
The object is to use only one axis and go straight to the next position/location.

Having these some things/blocks or whatever based against the solid jaw of the vise is best.
You should easily get an accurate .0005 or so doing this.
If an older machine, you might try this at mid-travel, and again near the travel end to see if your feed screw has enough wear to worry about.

Having good 123 blocks this can be done right on the table with one held down, and the other removed to make you travel check.

I ran an old mill that had the error noted along the long travel..and we had to figure in the difference when running a fussy part.

The model is a Mitutoyo PM-32L 164 Series, can anyone please help me on how to carry out the correction function, or has anyone got a manual or a copy I could purchase from them, which also would be useful for the other DRO functions.

If you're getting measurements that are a multiple of the real measure (such as 2" with 1" of movement or the reverse) there's usually an option hiding in the setup menu for the scale resolution, might be a good start to look in there.

If the error is more like .010" over 10" then it's likely something in compensation, as mentioned in other's posts. That would also be corrected in the setup but it's frequently harder to find.

Is it off by thousandths of inches, larger portions of inches, or inches? The causes and fixes are different.

However, whichever it is, you need a manual.

Thank you,
Mr.Smith

Sorry everyone, I was a bit vague with my post.

Basically the measurement displayed on the dro is different to the actual measurement of the calibration block I used to check dro's accuracy.
I only have metric gauge blocks, when measuring a 50mm block using a clock indicator in the spindle, the dro X axis measured the block at 48.175mm and 48.172mm on the Y axis.

As eKretz mentioned I believe that the dro can be compensated for the inaccuracy, which I have seen on youtube. But not having a manual for the dro I don't know what buttons to press to do this.

I cannot find a manual for the dro, I was hoping someone may have a similar model that may work with the correction.

Thanks for any assistance with my problem.

I know how to compensate the older 572 model but I'm probably no help on that one.

You can try holding the up arrow and the zero key for a few seconds and see if you get a flashing digit on the display. If you do I can send you the 572 manual to try that method and see if it's the same.

Edit: doesn't look like you have an up arrow.

You're correct, no up arrow!
Thanks anyway, I'll keep searching and look at a few more youtube videos that may help.

Which model year , what does the front panel look like?
I have the manual for the older but the instructions do not work on the newer and I have no manual for the newer.
You get into the settings by holding the star key upon power up.

Thank you everyone who have offered advice and sorry for not answering sooner.
I have managed to pester Mitutoyo in the UK enough, that they have eventually emailed me a PDF operation manual for my DRO.
So all I need to do now is understand the instructions and hopefully be able to calibrate the DRO to count correctly.
If not there's always the replacement Chinese DRO options out there I suppose!

I had a Mitutoyo DRO on a tree mill I got as a kit head was a part. I got it all together and was checking things out. put a 3" travel DI on the table the first 2" or so right on next few inch's it got bad 3-.005 out reset the DRO and the same thing. I was tolled this common with the Mitutoyo DRO's ken

Thank you everyone who have offered advice and sorry for not answering sooner.
I have managed to pester Mitutoyo in the UK enough, that they have eventually emailed me a PDF operation manual for my DRO.
So all I need to do now is understand the instructions and hopefully be able to calibrate the DRO to count correctly.
If not there's always the replacement Chinese DRO options out there I suppose!
Hi Paul, could you maybe share the Manual with me? Our DRO kicked in an error and without manual it’s impossible to know what’s wrong?
Thanks in advance

"The object is to use only one axis and go straight to the next position/location."

AND THE OTHER AXIS MUST BE LOCKED!

If you don't believe me, just set your start point with the other axis unlocked and push the ends of the table around. Watch your DI dance while you do that.

Gentlemen, LOCK your unused axis.

And RE: 1-2-3 blocks. They are not necessarily all that accurate. If you are going to use them, do measure them first. Even good ones can be off by several tenths and when multiplied over perhaps 24" of travel that can become a thousandth or more.

Having a decent vise that is square to the axis you might set two accurately measured somethings in your vise. Indicate to the first to zero the indicator, then pull that one and travel to indicate zero to the next.
The object is to use only one axis and go straight to the next position/location.

Having these some things/blocks or whatever based against the solid jaw of the vise is best.
You should easily get an accurate .0005 or so doing this.
If an older machine, you might try this at mid-travel, and again near the travel end to see if your feed screw has enough wear to worry about.

Having good 123 blocks this can be done right on the table with one held down, and the other removed to make you travel check.

I ran an old mill that had the error noted along the long travel..and we had to figure in the difference when running a fussy part.

Last edited:
Which model year , what does the front panel look like?
I have the manual for the older but the instructions do not work on the newer and I have no manual for the newer.
You get into the settings by holding the star key upon power up.
can you send me the manual ?

Back