What's new
What's new

can anyone identify this

It may be a machine specially designed for sharpening a particular type of cutting tool to predetermined angles. It would not have a more general use.

Larry

I think that is a twist drill grinder, missing a piece

Hope:

I think that is a twistdrill grinder, but it is missing a piece so that its function is not readily apparent. I think I know what the piece looks like.

The key is the vertical hole in the arm in front of the grinding wheel.
Question: What is the diameter of that hole ???

The missing piece is a vee trough that carries the twist drill.
It will have a pivot pin that fits in the vertical hole in the arm.
The drill will be held to the wheel at the proper angle and the cutting edge is sharpened as you pivot the holder around.

The vee-trough goes down at an angle; the machine has to be mounted at the right edge of a bench. The downward angle will be adjustable. The vee-trough will have an adjustable length stop and another stop that the cutting lip is positioned against.

Look through the shop to see if you can find the vee trough. Please let us know how this turns out; we all wish you well.

John Ruth

Most sewing machines do not have cutters in them. But the specialized machines called sergers do have a pair of cutting blades that trim the edges of two pieces of cloth as the needle binds the two pieces together along the cut edge. The blades are sort of like very short scissors. Look inside a garment at the joints where two pieces of cloth are sewed together and the edges are whipped with thread that binds the edge. The process is called serging.

It turns out that Merrow invented the serger back in 1881.

Overlock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the grinder is a specialized machine for sharpening just one kind of cutting tool to a predetermined angle. The two notches in the cutter holder accommodate the upper and lower blades, which have opposite angles on their cutting edges.

Larry

Here is another Merrow grinder:

Merrow007.jpg

Merrow004.jpg

Merrow005.jpg

Merrow006.jpg

Don't know why this little grinder came to me but it has been here for over ten years.

John

Thank you all for your help. I am sorry to be so slow in responding but my internet has been down all this week. The pic of the grinder you have is just like mine except I am missing the part with the handle. Sorry that my picture seems small but if you are on internet explorer there is an option to increase the size of the pic up to 400 %. I had thought that it was a type of drill grinder or made to sharpen high speed tool bits. but without the part that was missing I couldnt be sure.

I used Photobucket and then copied to my reply.

I added the spring. There was a counterbore that looked like a spring should go there.
The angle is wrong for grinding a drill or a threading tool.
'Some day' I may make a holder for a high speed steel threading tool that would drop into the slot. It might be useful to grind the included angle on a threading tool bit.
Regards,
John

Heck, without the handle, it looks like it would make a great little grinder for freehanding drills, lathe and shaper bits, etc... Don't know how hard that cup wheel is to find.

My hats off to Limy and Larry for the I.D of this thing.

Hey Mike, that grinding wheel was an off the shelf size. Well, off my shelf at least cause thats the one I used. When I got the grinder it did not have a wheel.

Regards,
John

Oh yeah, if that's a common wheel, this could be a very handy little bench grinder. You could even build a table and miter guage for it.

Wouldn't take much to turn it into a drill bit sharpener with one of those General drill jigs that seem to be everywhere. Jim.

It is not a twist drill bit grinder.
One could sharpen drills or high speed tooling.
But it has plain bearings and there are better grinders to sharpen drills on.
John

When my grandfather died. He left to me his shop. I have a type of tool grinder that I do not know what it is or how to use it . Can anyone help identify it, tell when it was made, and tell me how to use it. Here are some pictures of it.
Merrow Tool Grinder - a set on Flickr
it isa merrow sewing cutter sharpener used one many times in a textile factory i maintained 100 machines used it offen to sharpen the cutters and you want to get rid of it let me know

Back