What's new
What's new

Can "Moore Jig Borer Model #3" surface grind flat surfaces?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajhlinux

Cast Iron
Hello, I need a surface grinder wondering if I can use a Moore jig borer (grinder version) model #3 to use as an alternative to do surface grinding.
I need it for prototyping but not sure if it can do the task compared to a regular surface grinder.

I won't be doing a lot of throughput just need something that is able to reach <= 0.001" surface finish.
Nice thing about the Moore Jig Borer Model #3 is that it can do a lot of advanced complex grinding, so I'm assuming that it must be able to grind flat surfaces as well.

Want to know what others have to say in their experience.
Thanks.

Last edited:
At over 2200 RPM it would swing an 8" wheel at good grinding speed and the travels are good enough for close tolerant grinding.

But the abrasive grits would make quick work to ruin the machine.
Just grinding one part would lose your creditability to own it.

Grinders are made to shed off grits and to shied the inner works .
*Much better to trade Jig bore time time for surface grinder tiime..a guy down the road will have a surface grinder..

*Note watch this tube @ 6:00 in this tube to see how accurate a vise is not.

Last edited:
Interesting so basically the moore jig borer is not good to surface grind flat surfaces and will ruin the machine?

That is really not great such a big machine and designed for grinding.

I have seen many applications of a Moore jig borer and it did many operations for flat surfaces.
I read it on the Moore book "Holes, Contours, and Surfaces Located, Machined, Ground and Inspected by Precision Methods".

What if I used a smaller wheel like a 3-5 inch?

Have any recommendation which used surface grinders will most likely hold 0.0001"?
A used B&S micromaster is a good start?

Thanks.

It isn't what the machine was built to do. You would be best off to stand your plate upright, and grind the side like the machine was meant to grind. But what about traverse? With a .1" pitch lead screw that was never intended for reciprocating the table you will loose positioning accuracy quickly. Its a low horsepower spindle and a air hog. You could probably buy a Biax and scrape the material off faster.

Thanks for the reply.

Well I guess then I'll need to buy a moore jig borer model #3 and a surface grinder.
The jig borer will be used to grinder complex designs and the surface grinder for flat planes.

I was hoping to only use one machine to get both worlds but from experienced advice seems like I'll need to get both...

3 and 5" wheels will not grind very well at a slow SFPM.

Most SG will grind to.0005 if the spindle is ok..and to .000006 in very good shape on a smaller part. Grinding big parts is more difficult..

It is a good Idea to tarp cover a jig bore if it is in the same room as a grinder.

Thanks for the tarp recommendation. Will get a big one to cover that baby up.

It isn't what the machine was built to do. You would be best off to stand your plate upright, and grind the side like the machine was meant to grind. But what about traverse? With a .1" pitch lead screw that was never intended for reciprocating the table you will loose positioning accuracy quickly. Its a low horsepower spindle and a air hog. You could probably buy a Biax and scrape the material off faster.

To get surface finish down to <= 0.0001", its best done by hand scraping or surface grinder to get the tiny spots.
I simply don't understand why a jig borer can not be used for this phase of grinding few tents off of flat planes.

What if I used a Biax to do the heavy work of rough scraping to get it down to one thou flat, then use the jig borer to get it down to one tenth or less flat?

The jig borer is operated for days on continuous usages non-stop, for inner and outer diameter shapes, why not for plane surfaces?

Thanks.

Vastly different types of grinding and very different types of spindles. It's a bit like comparing a Dremel to a milling machine yes the Dremel can cut a slot but is it the correct tool. Traverse speed is important in surface grinding especially of hardened steels. To slow and you burn the material and glaze the wheel. The Moore machine is a high precision finishing machine whereas surface grinders can be used to hog material off if you know what you are doing.

Now say complex designs really slowly and then stop and think about it. The grinding of complex designs on a Moore is a real old school toolroom job not something you YouTube and pick up in a day. Or maybe you are the Albert Einstein of machine tools. Just the additional equipment that these machines came with to do complex grinding is an eye opener when you work on these machines.

But then again you don't know what you don't know.

Thanks for the reply.

Well I guess then I'll need to buy a moore jig borer model #3 and a surface grinder.
The jig borer will be used to grinder complex designs and the surface grinder for flat planes.

I was hoping to only use one machine to get both worlds but from experienced advice seems like I'll need to get both...

Thanks for the tarp recommendation. Will get a big one to cover that baby up.

To get surface finish down to <= 0.0001", its best done by hand scraping or surface grinder to get the tiny spots.
I simply don't understand why a jig borer can not be used for this phase of grinding few tents off of flat planes.

What if I used a Biax to do the heavy work of rough scraping to get it down to one thou flat, then use the jig borer to get it down to one tenth or less flat?

The jig borer is operated for days on continuous usages non-stop, for inner and outer diameter shapes, why not for plane surfaces?

Thanks.
Take a basic mach shop class at your local community college; then you will get it in bright light, no kidding, you need this.

Take a basic mach shop class at your local community college; then you will get it in bright light, no kidding, you need this.
At least on here the poster can't hear the laughing and comments people don't post. A classroom environment with a bunch of potential machinists is probably going to be a pretty brutal environment to ask dumbass questions and reinvent the wheel that you aren't even familiar with anyway.

" A classroom environment with a bunch of potential machinists is probably going to be a pretty brutal environment..."

That's a feature, not a bug. Unfortunately there's a real dearth of voc-tec machine shop classes around these days.

Because using the jig Bore to grind will be very slow. put the machine into scrap, be difficult to get .001 size, be unsafe with not a wheel guard on an 8" wheel, need wheel mounts made..

Is this a prank thread?

No, its not a prank, not sure what made it to be.

If it's slow thats fine so long it does the job, doing prototyping. Wheel guard is easy to make.
New rebuilt Surface grinders are more expensive than a used good old Moore Jig Borer Model #3.

Also I work in not just plane surfaces, I need to make other stuff with circles, like grinding the inner diameter to make precision bearings and spindles.

" A classroom environment with a bunch of potential machinists is probably going to be a pretty brutal environment..."

That's a feature, not a bug. Unfortunately there's a real dearth of voc-tec machine shop classes around these days.
Unfortunately criticism even justified isn't appreciated these days. Maybe we should have a live video feed so we can hurl abuse at people over the net. Obviously purely as a educational tool to prepare them for the real machining world. At least they won't be getting shit thrown at them although we could probably rope in their better half to provide a little physical encouragement with a slap to the back of the head. I can guarantee this isn't the only place they come up with these dumbass ideas and a little retribution may be appreciated.

Are you sure you don't mean "jig grinder", and not "jig borer" (Moore made both). Not saying that will make it a good surface grinder -- the people who know seem to say no -- but at least it's designed for some grinding operations.

Seems like your the prankster here. Made it clear to which one I'm talking about.

It can do complex grinding. I think the people here have no idea of it's capabilities.
However they made some points in grinding a ton of metal, which I tend to not do but I think it can be done slowly and surely.

Main goal is to mill the parts then use a jig borer to provide accurate tolerances in grinding.
It seems no one have no clue what it does. It is able to locate holes very accurately down to 2 microns and also do grinding operations.

Everything is shown in the book which I posted earlier which seems no one ever touched a book in reading it.

Seems like your the prankster here. Made it clear to which one I'm talking about.

It can do complex grinding. I think the people here have no idea of it's capabilities.
However they made some points in grinding a ton of metal, which I tend to not do but I think it can be done slowly and surely.

Main goal is to mill the parts then use a jig borer to provide accurate tolerances in grinding.
It seems no one have no clue what it does. It is able to locate holes very accurately down to 2 microns and also do grinding operations.

Everything is shown in the book which I posted earlier which seems no one ever touched a book in reading it.
Reading a book doesn't make you an expert. I've read the books and actually run the machines and I'm no expert. Instead of saying those that have posted here with decades of experience in all types of grinding operations are clueless you should admit that you are asking dumbass clueless questions.

Simply tried to clear up a possible misunderstanding. Sorry if the misunderstanding was on my side, but I didn't see you mention "jig grinder" anywhere (but now you seem to have edited your original post). Good luck (I mean it in a genuine way).

I'm asking a smart question specifically about "grinding" which is extremely difficult to comprehend with low IQ people here thinking I'm talking about boring and other stuff...

I remember when a bunch of low IQ dumbasses here few years ago on this forum said it wasn't possible to make a high precision CNC at home which can hold tolerances down to single digit microns... and then after few years passed by... many people started making them at home and proven on YouTube (anyone knows "Piotr Fox Wysocki" ???)...

Jeeze...

I started to realize I'm talking with real dumbasses but it's understandable, many people here just have low IQ and isn't smart enough to understand complex things. Most of the people here never went to school, probably dropped out of high school and somehow got into working at a workshop to make money without understanding the art or science of precision engineering or precision metrology which their "boss" understands. Most of the people on this forum don't understand the differences between a machinists square or a granite square and their applications.

However I use "precision" machines to invent or create products and not be like a tool 98% of the dumbasses here who just wants to collect the paychecks and only knows how to press buttons and slide doors on the CNC but have ZERO knowledge in making one (yes, I know the type of people I'm talking here :ROFLMAO:). Hope this makes sense why I ask questions which are too hard to comprehend, its too much of a "prank".

When I asked about making micron level tolerance CNC at home years ago here, it was a big big prank... everyone got their shovels and pitch forks with fire charging at me 🤣
The biggest prank was that folks have too much low IQ here, like seriously (Our European friend "Piotr Fox Wysocki" can 100% agree).

I just hope some intelligent people with decent IQ can provide some info.
Out of 50 comments maybe 1 or 2 people knows what I'm talking about.

Honestly, after 4 years in learning the art of precision engineering/machining no offense but Americans are dumb ass shit when it comes to this topic, I even remember guys on this forum admitting it telling me to go to Germany 🤣.

Europeans, particularly Germans knows how to answer a lot of my questions and I actually see they (ordinary machinists like Americans) do a lot of complex engineering at home building micron level CNCs.

Too bad Moore Jig Grinder Model #3 isn't an European made product so I'm stuck asking a bunch of USA dumbasses. Folks at "CNC Zone" are extremely smart, no surprise majority of them are Europeans, I guess my American friends here likes simple questions such as how to turn on a Hass CNC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back