What's new
What's new

Carbide drilling with TSC deep holes

What would you consider as excellent tool life? I've had a 7/16 drill 8in long drill about 40ft before sending to resharpen. I've also had that same drill chip after 10inches of drilling... am open to new drill suggestions and will have to look into Kennametal.
Currently have a .875" Kennametal KSEM drill that has over 40 parts on it, drilling 3. to 4. inches thru. Edges look pristine.

Why are you pecking? With TSC, I don't peck.
just looked up the specs for the drill, says directly do not peck with this drill.
3500rpm and about 0.18-0.36mm fpt (0.007086614" -0.01417323" FPT
sounds like its rubbing and work hardening the chips and need to feed it harder, makes sense why non peck doesn't work as its not breaking the chip. The extra rpms allow for better chip evac also.

Last edited:
I would check your coolant pressure. you should not have any issues at those speeds. I use to work in mold a few years back and would use the same type of drills. I would normally start a hole with a stub carbide drill (same tip angle) going as deep as .250 then chase it with a 8 inch mits and one shotting the hole to 7inches. I would reduce the rpm and feed when entering the hole and stop about .1 above ramp up dwell a few seconds and let it rip. This was done in a Matsuura Mx 520 with great coolant pressure.

I forgot to mention I was drilling h13 and 1 drill would handle 80 holes (46ft in depth) before replacing.
coolant pressure is limited by haas pump programing which we are looking to see if we can unlock. otherwise we have gotten similar tool life around that 40-45ft before replacing drills. but thats only if drills make it that long before chipping.

just looked up the specs for the drill, says directly do not peck with this drill.
3500rpm and about 0.18-0.36mm fpt (0.007086614" -0.01417323" FPT
sounds like its rubbing and work hardening the chips and need to feed it harder, makes sense why non peck doesn't work as its not breaking the chip. The extra rpms allow for better chip evac also.
we were told by the sales rep we can peck with these drills and have been pecking with them for 6 months. never broken a drill during pecking and chips look the same as if i wasnt pecking.

Pump .... programming?

You have to program the pressure of the pump?
haas pumps limit the flow based on volume it is moving. bigger drill means bigger hole which means it takes less psi to move the volume its programed to pump which i want to say is like 7 gallons a minute. so .343 drill psi is like 600psi but a .250 drill would be like 800-900psi, well why cant we have 1000psi on the .343 and up sizes.

But I don't think that's "programming".

The pump may be rated to x gallons at xx pressure, and y gallons at yy pressure.

So you're just not developing high pressure. But then you should still have decent flow.

High pressure + high volume? Bigger pump.

Time to try different drills

haas pumps limit the flow based on volume it is moving. bigger drill means bigger hole which means it takes less psi to move the volume its programed to pump which i want to say is like 7 gallons a minute. so .343 drill psi is like 600psi but a .250 drill would be like 800-900psi, well why cant we have 1000psi on the .343 and up sizes.
Because the haas TSC is limited by the horsepower and flowrate of the pump. Haas provides a flow x psi chart for their TSC unit which will tell you just how much flow you'll get for a given orifice size (not drill size). The pump is rated up to 1000 psi but you'll only ever hit that with tiny tools and well sealed collets.

1679716779712.png

Back