What's new
What's new

CBN/diamond wheel would reduce abrasive dust leftover after using lathe toolpost grinder?

Miannini

Plastic
Fellow forumers,

Wondering if a CBN or diamond wheel would be the way to leave less dust and nasty abrasive particles when using the toolpost grinder on my lathe. Looking for reducing covering machine ways and cleaning time to grind on the lathe. Currently using aluminum oxide wheels (white ones), really, really messy, even with the vacuum hose as close as possible to the wheel.
Toughts? Hints? Advices?

Cheers!

It would reduce the dressing grit, but not the material removal grit. CBN is for hardened steel (over 58 R/C in my experience) and diamond only for carbide. If you use your toolpost grinder more than very occasionally, get a small surface grinder and fixtures for grinding if it's just small parts. Larger parts, get a cylindrical grinder. Otherwise, you are compromising the life of your lathe.

A lathe was never designed to be a grinder and makes a rather poor one. This is more obvious once you use a real one. Cover everything regardless of what else you do. The CBN and diamond wheels are more specialty wheels than general purpose.

Diamond, CBN and aluminum oxide and the like all make grits that get into the mechanical places to exert heavy/fast wear to a lathe and manual mills.

Grinders have over hanging tables and shieling to keep grits out of the mechanics of the machine.

Always use your wife's best table clothes, most expensive quilts and favorite towels to help cover your lathe when doing any grinding.

Diamond, CBN and aluminum oxide and the like all make grits that get into the mechanical places to exert heavy/fast wear to a lathe and manual mills.

Grinders have over hanging tables and shieling to keep grits out of the mechanics of the machine.

Always use your wife's best table clothes, most expensive quilts and favorite towels to help cover your lathe when doing any grinding.
Surely she’ll love it!
Hahahaha!

I have done a lot of experimentation with tool post grinders and after 40 plus years have come to the conclusion that the absolute best way of keeping grit out of your lathes working parts is to do it on someone else's lathe.

Polycarbonate will eventually crack from the oils in the coolant. I have found the best way to hold it together is to use aluminium square bar and cut slots in it the same width as the thickness of the material and then use a silicone or if you really want to go to town drill and tap into the edge and fasten with countersink screws.

Polycarbonate (plexiglass).

I actually like the gallon can better as it's held in place with magnets, I tried all kinds of double sided tape etc. with the plexiglass but nothing worked long term, also the joints don't hold up well...
Great idea! A careful look at your hard chromium grinding video and that gives me courage to try it myself. Thanks!

Due to wear rates alone...a CBN or diamond tool would certainly cause less abrasive material into your toolpost area. A typical superabrasive tool will outlast a standard abrasive by many times.

Due to wear rates alone...a CBN or diamond tool would certainly cause less abrasive material into your toolpost area. A typical superabrasive tool will outlast a standard abrasive by many times.

A huge shout out to Diagrind, Mark was great to deal with and very patient with this newby while I was trying to figure out how to grind chrome in my home shop.

90 grit finish.JPGFinal polish.JPG

A huge shout out to Diagrind, Mark was great to deal with and very patient with this newby while I was trying to figure out how to grind chrome in my home shop.

View attachment 418282View attachment 418283
Thank you very much for the accolade. Glad we could help. Mark has been with the company for 45 years and is an AMAZING asset and his knowledge is encyclopedic. I've learned a lot from him in my 35 years here. Sorry I'm late getting back...guess I should check the forum more often, lol. -Mike

Back