What's new
What's new

Centroid M15-Upgrade and Workarounds For Using Now

Cavalry

Plastic
I acquired an antique CNC mill running a Centroid M15 control, everything appears to be fully functional as it sits. I am limited however currently with only using the conversational programming or writing gcode by hand. I want to run this machine a bit and make sure its worth putting money into before I get too crazy. Long shot, but is CAM software available that can communicate via Ethernet? I am fresh out of 3.5" floppy discs or drives for that matter, but see there is a USB emulator available for cheap. I know that DOS as an OS is an issue with the USB as is the 1.4mb partition limit on a USB, but is it doable?
This will be essentially a one off/non production machine. I defiantly want to upgrade the control, Centroid Acorn looks attractive and is well within my skillset to set up. Any thoughts on this or another control?

Last edited:
You could setup serial communication via RS232.

Also, check your servos...if you have DC motors you'll need to replace them or use an Allin1DC board.

The Centroid Community Forum is a great place to get answers. https://centroidcncforum.com/
I recently upgraded to the Acorn on my CNC knee mill. I would highly recommend it.
Good to hear a positive on a "hobbyist" level control. I have been reading the forums over there quite a bit. The only reason I asked here was for an honest opinion on Acorn and if any work around existed for the antique

You could setup serial communication via RS232.

Also, check your servos...if you have DC motors you'll need to replace them or use an Allin1DC board.
Right, I noted that. Is there a reason I cannot use individual servo drives with the non all in one control? Its probably a wash on cost and I would much rather nuke an individual drive than the whole board if something bad happens.

Back