What's new
What's new

Chard 16 lathe, need a carriage gear & help dating

AtlasChard

Plastic
Hi all, I’m new here, I’ve had an old 60’s era Craftsnan/Atlas 6” lathe for years passed to me by my father, but that’s not why I’m posting today;).

I was fortunate to acquire an old Chard-16 lathe from a co-worker “cleaning out his shop”. He thinks it might be a 40’s vintage, but that’s jusf a guess. Is there a serial number on these or way to date them?

I am also wondering if anyone has a lead on parts, there is a gear attached to the handwheel for the feed carriage that has a chipped tooth. Worst case I could probably weld it up & recreate the tooth.

What I do know:
This lathe has a double back gear, & open style guarded gearcase. It has a power drive for both the feed carriage & crossfeed. The headshaft has Babbitt style bearings.

I will try to upload a picture soon

@johnoder the one in that link looks very similar, the threading selectors, carriage, & head look the same. The one I have has long curved “A” style legs, & a cast arm on the back that holds the drive motor & a belt sheave selector overhead.
-still trying to figure out how to post a pic, lol

Resurrecting an old thread, finally have a pic of it. I believe it to be a 1909-1916 era. It is now for sale if anyone is interested,

Attachments

• E69B3CD6-CFE7-4DB3-ACC8-5F95465DF928.jpeg
    E69B3CD6-CFE7-4DB3-ACC8-5F95465DF928.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 16
Photo put to work - since you would discover that it is highly unusual to "find" existing / correct parts for 100 year old machine tools - especially for low volume makers like Chard

Attachments

• Chard Pinion.jpg
    Chard Pinion.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Back