What's new
What's new

Cheap digital caliper ideas

That's funny, I have about 6 or 10 inexpensive, non-plastic, digital calipers, most, if not all over ten years old. Not a single one has stopped working.

I hate junk calipers. Lots of times a rule or tape measure is the tool for the job, and there's a quality curve for them too. I went cheap on calipers starting out, and they all died, quickly. Every pair of Mitutoyos we've bought is still working. Their basic digital calipers are $100, and worth every penny.

It's not even about accuracy, it's just about the tool working for a reasonable amount of time. I'll use my grandfather's vernier calipers before cheap digitals.

Last edited:
That's funny, I have about 6 or 10 inexpensive, non-plastic, digital calipers, most, if not all over ten years old. Not a single one has stopped working.
Your luck is better than mine. I had high hopes for the Aventor line from Shars, but even they lasted maybe two years.

I've had good luck with cheap calipers, use them with my patternmakers lathe on banjo rims. First set were 12" Enco, that dates them, still going strong. A little sharp on the edges, but read the same as my Mits. Next set were Shars, nicer feel, same accuracy again.

What surprised me the most was how hot the temu platform was!!!
What do you think of the tools made in China now?

I just tilt my head sideways a bit and I can read it just fine. About the same angle as when I fall asleep in the easy chair.

$20 (import calipers) vs. $50 (6" DRO scale at Grizzly)! Same import quality and accuracy. Just the angle of the display changes. You can call me "the cheap machinist".

Don't you have to stand on your head to read one made from a caliper?
JH

Back