What's new
What's new

Cheap Fiber Lasers - technology durability

snowman

Diamond
I feel like we are starting to see significant price movement in the fiber laser department.

I'm curious, when you look at a product like a 50w fiber galvo laser, what does the industrial proven brand equivalent cost? I'd like the ability to cut small parts (2-3" square), but mostly etch at depth.

Are these machines heavy on lense use? Fiber replacement? Diodes burning out?

If so, do you happen to know if the chinese versions have good source for consumables?

(edited for laser size)

Last edited:
I feel like we are starting to see significant price movement in the fiber laser department.

I'm curious, when you look at a product like a 50kw fiber galvo laser, what does the industrial proven brand equivalent cost? I'd like the ability to cut small parts (2-3" square), but mostly etch at depth.

Are these machines heavy on lense use? Fiber replacement? Diodes burning out?

If so, do you happen to know if the chinese versions have good source for consumables?
50kw is a lot of light to pipe. Not sure 50KW fiber units exist yet and for damn sure overkill for a bit of etching. What is the thickness you need to cut? Metal or non metal? WTF is a 50kw galvo laser (50,000 killowatts)? Most lasers have some lens use as a consumable. Mostly protective lens. Do not know of any with fiber replacement issues. Diodes an interesting topic because not sure if some of the suitcases are rated at peak power when new, or peak power when "burned in".
Chinese OWN the market for low cost fiber lasers and that will at some point effect domestic and European players in that market. Trumph makes awesome fiber lasers at 500k each. And usually you will get what you pay for. But when they start to loose many sales to machines at 25% of their price they WILL wake up. Because a fabricator who pays a quarter of the price will get less of a machine but if it gets them where they want? They will be back to the off shore machine for the next bigger model. Devil you know VS devil you don't know.

I have two Chinese fiber laser welders. 2kW. And an IPG 3kW fiber laser for a Mazak cutting machine. I wholly agree with Scruffy887. In the coming years the western fiber laser cutting manufacturers are going to have to come to terms with the laser source not being a $200k item anymore. I just bought a Mazak fiber laser because of the rest of the machine. Not that I think the IPG laser is any better than a Chinese laser.

With regards to snowman's question: A 50 watt engraver should last a good long time. The laser power sources are commodity items in China. Lens are tens of dollars. Parts probably available on aliexpress or even Amazon. But note that a 50 watt fiber laser is an engraver, not a cutter. As I understand it, the wavelength is wrong for cutting. Mine does a brilliant job marking, but even cutting cardboard is a bit much to ask of it.

My raycus laser source in my chinese fiber laser can easily and cheaply be replaced. Lenses are cheap but I've never had to buy one. Galvos could maybe vibrate apart but they are standard parts at this point that I can just replace.

I only have about 100 hours on mine but that's because it works fast.

Yes, they are engraving lasers, but with enough passes, will cut....not efficiently enough for an industrial operation, but for prototyping small parts, lots faster than the alternatives

Absolutely, the Monport laser is a fantastic option
As everyone knows, your monfort lasers suck dead donkey dicks. They cost three times what they are worth, are made of cheap crap components, the housings are made of pressed cardboard and fall apart if it gets damp, the laser itself may as well be a 20 watt incandescent bulb with a green filter. For all the work it does (actually doesn't, because out of the box they don't even turn on), the entire thing is a giant pile of pig shit sold by slimy swindlers, probably from nigeria.

I've has a MOPA laser marker with a JPT source for years now. I think I paid $8k to direct import it, but that was years ago when MOPA was the new hotness. The software is clunky, but it works fine. There's not much to break, and all the consumables like the lasers are commodity.

But yes, the Chinese own that market. Unless you're a system integrator that can pass on a high parts cost for less programming and tweaking time, and only ever using one, there is no reason to go any other way for this.

Back