What's new
What's new

Chicago d&k 200 ton press break

TCB24

Plastic
I’ve got this 1960 200 ton d&k press break and having some issues. I use mine to build aluminum boats and really have never had an issue before. I can not locate anyone local to look at this machine either. I ordered the owners manual and starting from there. It’s a lot 😅. My issue is only the left cylinder would operate up or down and now a week later ( finally getting the manual in) neither side will operate up or down. I originally thought it was electrical but now I’m thinking it’s on the hydraulic side . Any insight on where I should start? I appreciate it

Just guessing, but I would check the obvious first:
How is the oil level? Is there air in the system so one cylinder got air bubbles? Air from cavitating pump from low oil level?

I’ve got this 1960 200 ton d&k press break and having some issues. I use mine to build aluminum boats and really have never had an issue before. I can not locate anyone local to look at this machine either. I ordered the owners manual and starting from there. It’s a lot 😅. My issue is only the left cylinder would operate up or down and now a week later ( finally getting the manual in) neither side will operate up or down. I originally thought it was electrical but now I’m thinking it’s on the hydraulic side . Any insight on where I should start? I appreciate it
pressure gauge(s ) are your diagnostic friends

Just guessing, but I would check the obvious first:
How is the oil level? Is there air in the system so one cylinder got air bubbles? Air from cavitating pump from low oil level?
So we started there. Oil level was correct when it first started to malfunction.
One thing I’ve found so far is my up contacter is not energizing when the pedal is pressed. The manual did not include much of a schematic for the electrical side so I’m tracing wires on that now

Is the pedal on a cord so it can move? Check for broken wires in the cord?
The cord on the pedal is good. Contactor 4 and 5 energize when the UP is pressed but #15 doesn’t. 15 has the 2 wires going to the coil on top of the break

If the hydraulics was rebuilt around 30 -40 years ago, there may be polyurethane seals ......thse fail rather suddenly at a certain age ........quite strange ,really......even NOS seals in shrinkwrap fail just the same as seals in oil.

Does this press have oil gear brand drive pumps, I have a 500 ton Chicago that is driven by Oil gear brand pumps, two pumps one motor, each pump has its own controls that regulates pressure and volume to each cylinder, there is a control to keep the rams parallel with each other in up and down strokes.
There are a lot of possibilities here, does your have a tonnage control? Is there a control box mounted on the end? If it's infact Oil gear there still in business and can help with tech, parts are astronomical in price.

Back