What's new
What's new

Cincinatti Sabre/Arrow spindles differences between oil lubed and greased

markp

Hot Rolled
Ive got a 94 Cinci Sabre 750. I recently picked up a new old stock spindle with the factory certification papers. My old spindle is still ok but getting a little old in the tooth and this one was cheap. My original spindle was grease lubed and still had a small amount of grease in the bearings. It has 3 grooves on the spindle taper end for a labyrinth seal. No holes in the presetting cap. Photo below. The new spindle has very little grease in the top bearing, maybe 1/2 of a BB size drop at each ball. A little more on the bottom bearing that I can see. Definitely a little less than the old spindle bearings. Photo below of new spindle upper bearing.

The new spindle has a part number on the paperwork of M161233 and is the same in every dimension but has a different configuration on the taper end labyrinth seal. The taper has a cup that fits into a corresponding recess in the presetting cap and there is a small hole drilled into the presetting cap for drainage. Photo below.

My concern is that this is one of the oil lubed spindles and the hole is for oil drainage only, and the grease is in there for assembly only and just gets washed away in an oil lubed Cinci . Anyone know for sure about the physical differences between the two types? If it is oil lubed, Im thinking I can just wash it out and relube with Kluber.

Attachments

• oldspindle.jpg
    oldspindle.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 419
  • newspindle.jpg
    newspindle.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 408
  • newspindlegrease.jpg
    newspindlegrease.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 474

markp

Hot Rolled
This is the greased style, they changed labyrinth seal design. I didnt know the storage situation for this spindle anyway, and it was not sealed when I got it, so I just ended up just pulling the top bearing off carefully and the two sleeves, washing the bearings out in turpentine and regreasing @ 2.5cc per bearing with Kluber 15 using a .5mm glue application needle and syringe. Made it through the break-in. The other one lasted 22 years of prototype work, we'll see if this one can match that.