What's new
What's new

Cincinnati 10 X 24 universal grinder cross feed

10 fingers

Hot Rolled
We had a Cincinnati 10 X 24 universal for awhile. After needed repairs am attempting to put it online for simple, OD work. Can not make the fine cross feed mechanism work. The coarse feed works perfectly. However, withdrawing the spring loaded handle while rotating the hand wheel yields no cross feed travel. Have disassembled and studied the mechanism for hours, comparing it to the parts manual. Everything appears in place and perfect condition. Thoughts?

cross feed or infeed mechanism

.John, What you are referencing is the hydraulic, incremental, infeed. Is independent from the manual, fine feed, handwheel I'm trying to use.

I have a 10 x 24 also, though not in operational yet. If I pull the spring loaded handle, the handle simply free wheels, no fine feed, atleast not while un-powered.

I'm not a master of this machine, so I could not say it definitely has a fine feed. But if so, I would guess it needs the hydraulics or power for it to engage.

The hydraulic system has nothing to do with manual, fine infeed. Please read the operator's manual to better understand. There has to be a trick to assembling the harmonic internal gear drive.

The hydraulic system has nothing to do with manual, fine infeed. Please read the operator's manual to better understand. There has to be a trick to assembling the harmonic internal gear drive.

There are some different controls and configurations depending year of manufacture, options selected I believe. I don't have an operators manual, if you do, I'd like to work out a copy, or submit to VM.

On Vintage Machinery I previous only found the 1947 manual John Oder posted under Cincinnati Milacron. Looking under Cincinnati Grinders Inc, I found that same manual again, but also a newer manual from 1956:
Cincinnati Grinders, Inc. - Publication Reprints - 10" Universal Grinding Machine | VintageMachinery.org

The pdf:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/10764/19832.pdf

On page 13 it shows basically the opposite of what you are asking. If I understand correct, with machine running and lever engaged, minor rotation of handwheel would activate rapid. At a guess, this suggests to me that the normal manual feed is the fine feed:

76.jpg

Page 12 show a different configuration on the cover next to handwheel:

77.jpg

Mine is from 1954, I don't have either of those:

78.jpg

I'd be curious to see pics of what you have.

My grinder's infeed is same as your 3rd picture. Manuals re frequently available on Ebay. The manual I have is correct for the machine. Is explicit in selection of fine infeed by withdrawing the spring loaded handle from the notched plate.

Back