What's new
What's new

Cincinnati 15x54 tray top loud in fwd gears, quiet in reverse.

JENIUS

Plastic
I noticed my new-to-me lathe is loud in fwd, but quiet in reverse, no matter the gear, or if the lead screw is engaged. The fluid level in the gearbox is correct. I assume bearings and such are available?

Hopefully, but some of them will be pricey if you can find them. I replaced all of the bearings in my Hydrashift headstock (the Tray Top is similar, but with fewer bearings fortunately), and the tapered ones with the flanged cups were hard to find and expensive. The spindle bearings were really expensive.

I "inherited" a big lathe at my job which had a similar problem. Excessive noise in one direction. When I opened the gearbox, I found there had been some crud run through it in a previous life, and some was still stuck to the gears. Once I got it cleaned out and polished the affected teeth a bit, the noise subsided greatly.

I noticed my new-to-me lathe is loud in fwd, but quiet in reverse, no matter the gear, or if the lead screw is engaged. The fluid level in the gearbox is correct. I assume bearings and such are available?
My Deckel FP2NC is like that. Loud in forward, quiet like a Hardinge HLVH in reverse. It's because the machine spent 35 years running forward wearing one side of the gear teeth and practically zero time running in reverse, so those sides of the gear teeth are like new. It happens to run in reverse when using the horizontal spindle in the normal cutting direction, but the prior owner never ran in horizontal mode and I only occasionally do.

I believe rklopp is correct. I recently acquired an 18 x 7 2 tray top and it is more quite in reverse as well. Mine is sort of loud running in the low gears but they are worn. I would like to replace all of them on that one shaft but wouldn't know where to get them. The mid range and high gears are fine.

Back