What's new
What's new

Cincinnati 1D

Ebertthbull

Plastic
Have a new to me Cinel 202-12 with a 1D Toolmaster head. The issue I have is the high/low selector will not fully engage in high unless I hold the selector past the detent.
Anyone ever fix that problem?
Don't want to disassemble more than I have to and open a can of worms.

I'm not familiar with that machines inner workings but it sounds like bent or worn shifter ( pin, fork?) Usually because somebody was hard on it.

I'm hoping it's that simple. Just checking with other members b4 I tear into it.
I've had mine apart to fix other things in the head. Really not much to it so I would also say something must be bent. Mine is somewhat finicky going into high - have to 'jiggle' it. Sometimes slides in fine, other times hangs just a hair short and hence the 'jiggle'. Bit of a pain to disassemble and as it is not a use every day situation I just live with it. Let us know what you find out.

Dale

Hi,
I had that problem with my Toolmaster 1D. The issue was due to (verticle) wear on the groove where the detent ball lays. I disassembled the head and had a guy machine a new slot for the key that locates the 'shaft' to the 'gear' (It's been a while so
I'll have to get out the service manual drawings to get those part names correct). Anyway, the relocating let the detent ball work in a different area of the groove. I also put in a slightly stronger spring and tried to carefully set the preload on it from the (dual) set screws. It seems to be working pretty well now. The Youtube videos posted by Steve Watkins where he does a bunch of work on a 1D head helped me out a lot. It was a pain to take that head apart and reassemble, and I was pretty concerned I would do something bad to it but so far, so good. I'm new to machining and have never used any other mill, but I sure do like this one.

Oh, and like hvlymachining said in the above post, the slotted brass shift dog on my machine was badly worn on the one (lower) side, clearly from it being used to 'hold' the gear in the upper position, rather than letting the ball detent mechanism do it. I probably should have made a new one, but I just flipped it over, with the unworn side now used to lift the gear. Moving to the lower position is no problem since gravity helps. (Sorry about the misspelled 'vertical' in my previous post).

Back