What's new
What's new

Cincinnati Bickford Radial Drill HELP!

Oh, I figured if you were closer you could come and look at mine. I don't think you'd want to drive to Northeast Illinois. I am about 50 minutes west of the Indiana border. Mike

On mine there is a handle as shown in the above photo. as I recall it is attached to a shaft running horizontally. pushing up or down will engage switches.
So mag locks off
Give that handle a right good push up or down. Mine is fussy, sometimes it goes right into motion others I have to hang on it. Just have not gotten around to adjusting it.

best of luck

I had one of these ,and seen others with the same problem.........the motor was running the wrong way.........this stuffs up the elevation (rise and fall) limiter linkages .....Its never noticed until the arm is run up to maximum elevation and jams the clutch engaged.
Well, the motor is turning the correct way. It must be internally rectified because even switching the DC input polarity results in the same thing. No change.

GOOD NEWS!

We got it working a little more today.

So this thing was at Eaton Corp and was in service a week before Midwest Railway got it, but it sat outside, covered, for 7 months. Not covered good enough. We decided to drain the main oil reservoir and instead of 4 gallons of oil, we got 10 gallons of water. Flushed it with diesel fuel. Found another reservoir that was also empty, but you couldn't tell from the sight glass being so stained. Filled that.

Once we ran it for a while, and got the diesel pumping, it cleared something up because we were able to use the handle to raise and lower it!

We also found that the leather belt that drives the power feed and rapid traverse for the head was broken. That should be replaced this week.

Lastly, the feed speed selector shaft is seized inside the back gear shaft. Sprayed that down with penetrating oil. If it's not freed up by next week, I'm going to put some heat on it or take that part off and get it freed on the bench.

Thanks to all for the good suggestions.

Bit late on this but....if the stop rod is not all the way up you will not go down.
Picture shows stop,...located on the back side of the main arm casting. picture taken standing opposite operator side.
Also there is a filter in the head under the cover shown in picture. The wix filter is very close, just needs a different sealing washer.
This filters the oil going to the spindle bearings
Strongly recommend you get a book....The way oil goes in the swinging cover on the head, imperative that it stays full.
You have many oil levels to make sure are correct.

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 8
  • stop rod.jpg
    stop rod.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 8
They are a marvellous drill .......I sold mine for $7000 in 1980s money to ......believe it or not ...Rolls Royce ......I have the PO with their logo on it somewhere......now Ive got a Richmond ,about the same size that I paid $500 for ......Not the same as Cinci -Bickford ,but there you go......Incidentally ,at the same time ,there were Carltons as well ,and one I really wanted ....a Cincinnatti -Gilbert ...lovely little tiddler with a 3 ft arm,new in tropical grease..

Forgot one thing...make sure you have oil flowing in the sight glass located on the top front of the head.
It should be flowing oil when the spindle is turning...nothing there?...your running dry.

If its been out in the weather ,all bets are off.........especially if it was run without being fully checked and flushed out ......there will likley be spring loaded plungers stuck with rust ,and all sorts of damage from water penetration.

If it has a counter weight on a bicycle chain that runs thru the spindle gear/head - replace it. I fought that for a long time before breaking the suits down for a 25 dollar chain. The quill would fall or jam until it got replaced.

Back