What's new
What's new

Cincinnati,Hydroteal

calvinator

Plastic
My boss says he has found a Cincinnati,Hydroteal that a old man has in a barn here localy. It appears to be in good shape and has a hydraluic powered rotorary table with it. 100" table on x axis and 50 taper. I have heard other machinest talk about them but I don't know anyone who knows anything about them. We can buy it for a song but is it worth the expence to move(huge machine)

Buying hydraulically operated machines that have been dead for a long time usually means the entire system has to be gone thru to wake it up again. The "song" might turn into a sad one :D

If it is running and you can run it out, that is a different story.

They are amazing metal hogs, and many of them were originally tracer equipped.

Figure at least 30K lbs.

John

I ran a few in the 1970s west of Erie Pa., two had a tracer. There's something about burying a 2" corncob hogging end mill a few inches deep and watchin the machine not strain a bit. These mills, In my opinion are the ultimate workhorse. We made forging dies for the heavy truck industry. Too bad the weight ( I dont know the weight, but I'd guess probably 15 tons?)makes them out of reach for all but the most dedicated home machinist. I would start them all when I came in, to let them "warm up". Every weekend we put 1 of them on a portable hyd. filter cart. Kind of a dialisis machine to clean the "blood". Thats how important the bosses thought of them.

John has some good advice about hydraulic systems. Might want to spend some time trying to power it up in the barn and see what happens. Even if you have to rent an industrial gen-set, it would be significantly cheaper and easier than rigging it out of that barn to only find out it it's a pile of scrap. If you're really interested in it, see if the owner has the manual, take it home and read through it so you know your plan of attack when you power it up.

Do NOT start a Hydrotel and try to move anything unless it is on a proper foundation and LEVELED. First of all IF you do move the table or cross slide which I doubt, you will dammage the ways.

Back