What's new
What's new

Cincinnati Hypro planer

Unless you have repeat paying work, leave it alone...most likely the scrap-man will buy it. the cost of tare-down, loading and moving will be in the 1000s and then the floor space it takes up, this is the real def of a money pit...

Just a short note. I did buy this planer. Dismantled it enough that we could get it out of the building it was in and on a step deck semi trailer. Trucker said the net weight was right around 38,000 lbs. I figure the machine proper weighs around 34,000 or a little less.

Just a short note. I did buy this planer. Dismantled it enough that we could get it out of the building it was in and on a step deck semi trailer. Trucker said the net weight was right around 38,000 lbs. I figure the machine proper weighs around 34,000 or a little less.

Can you share what you're going to use it for?

The intention is to put a milling head on this planer -- possibly a grinding head also. But the way this planer is set up it should be quite easy to retain the ability to do standard planer work with it also.

I had a specific milling operation in mind going into this deal.

The intention is to put a milling head on this planer -- possibly a grinding head also. But the way this planer is set up it should be quite easy to retain the ability to do standard planer work with it also.

Glad it went to a safe home.

There’s a lot more to milling on a planing machine than just bolting a milling head onto one of the planing heads. For a start the alignment requirements are different, some planing alignments are not as critical as the are on a Plano-mill. Plus you could well need clamping to the planing/milling head. You will definitely need a means of slowing down the table from planing to milling feeds.

Regards Tyrone

A little off topic here.....

Dad told us of a place that used to be located northwest of San Antonio, Texas in a small German town that used to rebuild machine tools. Dad used to go up there often to check over machines they used to get rebuilt there. They had several planers in the shop that were converted to planer mills. Instead of a gear rack drive on the table, they had installed a leadscrew the length of the table with some kind of DC motor drive hooked up on it fine feed and a rapid traverse drive for rapid table movement. This was way before ball screws became popular. They also built and sold a milling head that had a 3 or 4 speed transmission that was made of gears from a old 1935-'37 tranny. Hey, it worked!

A little off topic here.....

Dad told us of a place that used to be located northwest of San Antonio, Texas in a small German town that used to rebuild machine tools. Dad used to go up there often to check over machines they used to get rebuilt there. They had several planers in the shop that were converted to planer mills. Instead of a gear rack drive on the table, they had installed a leadscrew the length of the table with some kind of DC motor drive hooked up on it fine feed and a rapid traverse drive for rapid table movement. This was way before ball screws became popular. They also built and sold a milling head that had a 3 or 4 speed transmission that was made of gears from an old 1935-'37 tranny. Hey, it worked!
All the ones I converted still used the original rack and pinion drive but they were relatively modern machines with a spiral worm drive. A DC infinitely variable drive was attached to the existing planer electric motor via a clutch that enabled you to disconnect the DC drive if you wanted to use the machine for planing again.

Regards Tyrone

Back