What's new
What's new

Cincinnati No. 2 Vertical Mill - Head Gib Adjustments

WakelessFoil

Aluminum
I have been going through a couple of the larger and older milling machines in our shop to clean them and prepare them for operation. The one I am working on today is our Cincinnati No. 2 VM. It, like other mills of similar construction, has a large moving head mechanism that is made to move up and down accurately and consistently through the tightening of several tapered gibs. I am again in a situation in which I must tighten the gibs to get straight travel, but doing so makes the head impossible to move up and down due to being too tight. It explicitly states in the manual that the gibs must not be overtightened as to limit the operators ability to actuate the head feed manually, doing so will wear down the gibs.

Anyone have any experience working on a similar machine? I wonder if there is a specific procedure I should perform / order I should work the gibs in? Maybe there is an adjustment I am not seeing?

Thanks,
Justin

Attachments

• IMG_8511.JPG
    IMG_8511.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 19
Service and Parts book on Vintage Machinery under Cincinnati Milling Machines explicitly for dial type.

If no longer "adjustable" that just means it need fixing - like here:

Last edited:

Back