What's new
What's new

Cincinnati toolmaster #1a milling machine saddle metering valves.

jlittman

Plastic
Hello:. I am working on a Cincinnati toolmaster #1A milling machine and I mixed up the Bijur FJB 0&1 metering valves for the saddle. Does anyone know the order? There are 4 each of the FJB 0&1 valves. Two lines go to the table dovetails, 1 line goes to the lead screw nut, and 5 lines go down into the saddle. I have a few old Cincinnati toolmaster parts manuals but they don't list the metering valve sizes(Cincinnati part #s 220004 & 77196 part names plug-drip) and the oil line diagram appears to be a bit different from my mill.
Thank you
Jon

Attachments

• saddle.jpg
    saddle.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 14
  • serial.jpg
    serial.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 14
I don't know specifically to answer your question. But if they are used, I might find a way to test them to see if they work or replace them if its a question. Stuck or clogged units are a problem for way damage and such long term.

Ultimately getting oil is the most important, verse no oil. so slightly wrong size would bother me a whole lot less, so long as they work.

If you know the volume of each unit, then I would have highest volume at table ways, as it presumably has longest and most constant travel back and forth. Followed by saddle. With the smallest volume at leadscrew and nuts. While leadscrew and nuts do work a lot, they should be less affected by dirt, and no wipers, so they stay wet as long as they are getting lube.

My WAG is the No. 1's would be used for slide surfaces and dovetails. No. 0's would go to any bearings, leadscrew nuts. Bijur used to publish a book that gave you formulas for calculating the amount of oil needed and the metering unit size to use to get that amount of oil to the bearing surfaces. It's been too many years for me to remember this stuff.
To be honest, there's not that much difference between a no. 0 and 1 that would make a difference. The larger the number, the more oil it will deposit.
Once together, if one of the units seem to deposit too much oil and it is a no. 1 metering unit, you know it was put in the wrong place. I highly doubt you will notice the difference with normal use.

Thanks for the replies. This mill sat for a long time prior to me getting it and I believe many of the metering valves are clogged. I purchased a new set off of eBay where all eight cost roughly $120. I agree and probably will put the number ones on the Ways and dovetails. I think I should clean out the oil reservoir prior to installing the new valves.
Thanks again.
Jon

Back