What's new
What's new

Circular Sawmill saw collar

55pickup

Plastic
We are putting together an antique 1872 Forsaith Circular Sawmill and are looking for specs for material and attachment of the Fast Collar. The original 6" Collar has three pins, we want to keep that as an artifact but fab or buy a standard 6" Collar with 5/8" pins on 3" center to take a standard blade. References we have are Creamer's "Sawmiller's Guide" and Lunstrum's "Circular Sawmills".

These books give good descriptions of machining the fast & loose collars on the arbor but no specs. We find no listing of anywhere to buy a Collar. The one member of our Group who is an experienced Sawyer has talked to his now retired "Saw Doctor"- his recommendation was to use ductile cast iron, shrink fit, with a 1/2" cross pin through the shaft fitting into a milled slot in the back side of the Collar- we are trying to understand what that would look like. Everything else we have found just says "shrink fit"
Any help is appreciated.

This sawmill was operated from 1872 to 1965 and has been waiting for restoration since then. Water powered with a Houston, then Bradway Turbine. I'm posting this in Woodworking Machinery but possibly it would be better in Antique Machinery?

The original may have been forged one piece? Consider making a new shaft and welding on a collar. I good tight fit and some lock tite glue of some kind.
Bill D

Ive made a few new shafts for old sawmills ,Id say the majority of saw collars were plain cast iron ,with a single steel pin.,the nut is steel Id imagine..............if I had to make a replacement collar ,Id use a bit of whatever I had in steel or cast iron ,as these restorations are price sensitive ....very.

Thanks to you both. We are replacing the shaft, the original is damaged in way of one of the bearings. Regarding the pin- 1/2" diameter about right?

! /2 is right ......its a shear pin as well as a drive ,as quite often steel objects are imbedded in the tree .....fence wire,nails ,spikes ,horseshoes are common,and in one serious fail ,a tooth from a loader bucket .......a lump of very hard steel.

The one member of our Group who is an experienced Sawyer has talked to his now retired "Saw Doctor"- his recommendation was to use ductile cast iron, shrink fit, with a 1/2" cross pin through the shaft fitting into a milled slot in the back side of the Collar- we are trying to understand what that would look like.
1714911153529.png

Something like this, most likely. ( Trailer Jack gears) Made for easy shear pin replacement.

Back