What's new
What's new

Clausing 2287 20" Drill Press Spindle Problems

cl5man

Aluminum
Having some pretty frustrating problems with this thing since I purchased it. I've used my Bridgeport for drilling duties for years. Found a nice used Clausing 20" and decided to go for it. This drill is a tank!! Its mounted on a huge cast iron table, 460V 3phase that I had rewound for 230V 3 phase. Problem is chatter. It doesn't matter what I do, the thing chatters. 1/2 drills or 1" drills, fast or slow, cutting oil or no cutting oil, small pilot hole, big pilot hole or no pilot hole, new drill bits or hand sharpened bits, slow feed or aggressive feed. Chatter, and I mean the kind of chatter that makes you think the drills gonna break. Using the same drill bits in my bridgeport and they cut like a dream so I know its the machine. The spindle has about .003 runout at the end of the #3MT. All of my bits are MT shanked, I don't use a chuck. I installed new spindle bearings when I purchased it, the quill moves smooth and freely and I've trived tightening up the quill lock just loose enough to allow me to feed it but still chatters. I thought it was my x-y table so I clamped a test piece directly on the table, chatter. I'm thinking its gotta be the .003 runout but I know some of these cheap drill presses out there have at least that much when new and they seem to cut decent. I'm running out of ideas and i've already spent to much time, energy and money on this thing to sell it and start over. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Spindle bearings no longer correctly preloaded? I'd take the spindle apart, clean it, relube it, and put it back together. Treat it a bit like a mill spindle, where the preload is high enough that the spindle won't coast all that long when free-wheeling.

Does yours still have and use the Reeves drive for variable speed? If so, good chance it's worn and the two pulley halves are wobbling when under load.

jack vines

Back