What's new
What's new

Clausing 8520 Mill... Head disassembly

Spinninchips

Plastic
Hi... I'm new to this forum. I'm trying to find out why I can't seem to disassemble the head on this old Clausing Mill. It appears that the top step pulley needs to be removed to allow the depth gauge rod to be removed and then the two mounting tabs for that depth gauge to be removed which "appears" to then allow the quill w/spindle to slide out of the head. Is this correct? I can't find any snap rings, or retaining rings holding that step pulley on, but she won't budge off the top. I've removed the plate that is there and can see the actual bearing, but just can't seem to get that pulley off and I am VERY reluctant to use any force w/o first inquiring if I am wrong in my assumptions. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

Hi... I'm new to this forum. I'm trying to find out why I can't seem to disassemble the head on this old Clausing Mill. It appears that the top step pulley needs to be removed to allow the depth gauge rod to be removed and then the two mounting tabs for that depth gauge to be removed which "appears" to then allow the quill w/spindle to slide out of the head. Is this correct? I can't find any snap rings, or retaining rings holding that step pulley on, but she won't budge off the top. I've removed the plate that is there and can see the actual bearing, but just can't seem to get that pulley off and I am VERY reluctant to use any force w/o first inquiring if I am wrong in my assumptions. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

You're on the right track. I don't recall the exact procedure for removing the pulley but don't remember it being a problem either. Once the pulley and front pulley guard are removed, the threaded depth guage rod is withdrawn out the top. That exposes the screw which holds the top depth stop tab which is all that keeps the quill in place. Of course, the down feed spindle must also be first removed.
Jim

You're on the right track. I don't recall the exact procedure for removing the pulley but don't remember it being a problem either. Once the pulley and front pulley guard are removed, the threaded depth guage rod is withdrawn out the top. That exposes the screw which holds the top depth stop tab which is all that keeps the quill in place. Of course, the down feed spindle must also be first removed.
Jim

Jim

Back