What's new
What's new

Clausing Colchester VS13 Shutting Off in High Range Only

edgrothus

Plastic
Hello Everyone, this is my first post, really great stuff on here but I can't find the topic I am needing an answer to so I am starting a new post.

I have a pretty nice VS13 but am having some issues with it that are testing my patience. It seems to start up and run just fine in the lower two speed selectors but is giving me fits and shutting off (tripping a contactor?) in the highest speed selector.

I will describe as best as I can. When I first got the lathe I had to replace my 2hp phase converter with a 10hp phase converter as it would not run in the high speed selector at the proper rpm. Once I installed the 10hp converter, it would grunt in high gear but within a couple seconds run just fine. Every now and then you had to try and start it a couple times and then it would wind up in high and be fine for awhile. Now after several months of running it, when I lift the lever to start the chuck, almost every time it somewhat grunts and turns very slow and then trips the contactor/relay?

I feel like it is something mechanical that is causing it to not run up smoothly to high rpms and then trip the contactor. Like I said, it runs just fine in the lower two gear selector ranges.

I have a couple of theories but wanted to ask all of you for your thoughts. I have no idea on what the oil level is supposed to be in the headstock? There is really no oil in there so I'm headed to our local farm supply store to get some thin hydraulic oil. I'm not sure that's going to fix it so I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are.

Thanks in advance....Ed

You should have an oil flow window on upper left front of headstock. From memory, which could be wrong, there should be an oil tank, with a level window, and pump in headstock plinth. Been awhile since I’ve seen a 13” Colchester. My Triumph 2000 does have this oil pump arrangement. Have you been running the lathe without oil?

Last edited:
If it has been ran for any length of time or under heavy load with no oil in the headstock, my best guess is that some or all of the bearings may be toast. Could be an expensive fix but you need to do some testing of the headstock bearing movement both axially and radially to have a better clue.

I came across a lathe headstock that had been run dry many years ago. It was an AutoWard 3. They just put a fancy fascia over the old Ward headstock casting and joined the old sight glass aperture to the new sight glass with a length of plastic pipe. The pipe kinked and left a trace of oil in the new sight glass as the headstock gradually dried out. The operator called me out when the noise got louder than the shop radio !

When I got the headstock cover off everything was covered in a pink/brown dust ! Not a trace of any oil. All the bearings were gone and some of the gears. Luckily it was only run in one speed range most of the time.

Regards Tyrone.

You should have an oil flow window on upper left front of headstock. From memory, which could be wrong, there should be an oil tank, with a level window, and pump in headstock plinth. Been awhile since I’ve seen a 13” Colchester. My Triumph 2000 does have this oil pump arrangement. Have you been running the lathe without oil?
Thank you for your quick response. You are 100% correct, there is an oil flow window right where you said. There is no pump, looks like a bath and slinging type oiling system. There was a small amount in there so everything was being lubricated some. I did put 2 gallons of an ISO32 fluid in so it’s above the window now. It appears the problem was that I was trying to start the lathe at the highest possible speed and it was overloading the relay. I’ve slowed it down and now it starts and runs like a champ.

If it has been ran for any length of time or under heavy load with no oil in the headstock, my best guess is that some or all of the bearings may be toast. Could be an expensive fix but you need to do some testing of the headstock bearing movement both axially and radially to have a better clue.

Thanks for your response. There was enough oil in it to keep things lubricated properly it appears. No bearing noise and good radial/axial tightness. It appears I was trying to start lathe at highest possible speed when this problem would occur so once I slowed the variable speed down it fires off perfectly and runs like a champ!

I came across a lathe headstock that had been run dry many years ago. It was an AutoWard 3. They just put a fancy fascia over the old Ward headstock casting and joined the old sight glass aperture to the new sight glass with a length of plastic pipe. The pipe kinked and left a trace of oil in the new sight glass as the headstock gradually dried out. The operator called me out when the noise got louder than the shop radio !

When I got the headstock cover off everything was covered in a pink/brown dust ! Not a trace of any oil. All the bearings were gone and some of the gears. Luckily it was only run in one speed range most of the time.

Regards Tyrone.
Thanks for your response. Fortunately I did not run the gearbox dry, it was still getting lubricated although I did add 2 gallons of fluid so it is at the proper level now. It appears I was trying to start the lathe at the highest possible speed (3100 rpm’s) and once I slowed it down with the variable speed button all is well. Fires off like a champ now and runs like a champ.

Back