What's new
What's new

Clausing Lathe ID Help Needed

stovall

Plastic
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I posted on the forum, but here goes. I have an opportunity to buy this Clausing lathe from a older gentleman, but am unable to find a model number on it anywhere. I was hoping someone might recognize it and be able to help identify it. It has a 3c collet closer attachment as well as a steady rest. It is a bit smaller than what I really wanted, but should serve 75% of my needs. I also wonder if anyone could suggest a price, as this man does not want to give me a price because he knows nothing about it. I am thinking somewhere around maybe $1500? It is in very good shape, just a bit dirty from being stored for the last 20-25 years. This machine belonged to his wife's dad who worked for Reynolds Aluminum & supposedly all he ever ran on the lathe was aluminum. I would greatly appreciate any & all help in figuring out what it is & how much it is worth!

If you have any, posting pics of the machine in question will be of great help. Sometimes small details can make a big difference in the machine's condition and completeness.

If you have any, posting pics of the machine in question will be of great help. Sometimes small details can make a big difference in the machine's condition and completeness.
Posting pictures is difficult for some, so there is an alternative. Here is a link to a great deal of information on Clausing lathes, including pictures of probably every model they built. Go through the website (there are several pages) and try to find a picture of the lathe you are thinking of buying and come back here with that information. I will say that the 3C collet capacity hints that you are looking at one of their early (1936-1948 or so) model 100 small lathes that are, in general not worth nearly as much as their larger later lathes (1970 or so).

Also, Atlas Press Co. in Kalamazoo, MI bought the Clausing name at one point and later changed the company name from Atlas to Clausing Corp. Atlas lathes are generally mechanically inferior to the lathes that carry the Clausing name. It does require some study to figure out what is what with those machines.

Larry

Flatbed Atlas and other names they carry are considered hobby machines but a Clausing with a V-way bed is a very decent/good machine.
1500 is an Ok price. IMHO
but needs to have change gears or quick change.

Sorry guys but things have been crazy around here. I thought I had attached my pics to the original post, so here they are again.

Attachments

• 20221228_153329 (1).jpg
    20221228_153329 (1).jpg
    1,016.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20221228_153342 (1).jpg
    20221228_153342 (1).jpg
    707.9 KB · Views: 45
Could anyone give me an estimate of how much this machine would weigh? It is in a small building & will have to be extracted by hand...not a feat I am looking forward to!

I have an older one, with the cast iron legs.
Not really heavy - Just guessing maybe 600 lbs +/-, maybe less.
Lift one side at a time, put some 2x skids under the feet, and it shouldn't be a big deal.

4800 just sold one for 2150 go to uk lathe they will have all the info you need

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    686.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    869.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    832.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Could anyone give me an estimate of how much this machine would weigh? It is in a small building & will have to be extracted by hand...not a feat I am looking forward to!
mod. 4803 24" 500 lbs. . mod 4804 36" 535 lbs , mod 4805 48 " 610 lbs

Back