What's new
What's new

cleaning stones

GNSMTH

Plastic
Does anyone have a good method of cleaning hard and medium norton stones other than useing an ultrsonic cleaner. I picked up some at a garage sale but they were abused and are full of metal particles. Shooters Choice works "ok" but it still leaves some imbedded particles.
Thanks

The only way I have ever cleaned stones is by rubbing them together in solvent. It both cleans them and keeps them flat. I'd be very hesitant to try an ultrasonic on them, afraid they'd disintegrate.

Sandpaper

Wet/Dry sand paper on a sheet of glass or other flat surface. A little kerosene and stone away.

We do it high tech at work. Lapping table just for the job and some Silicon carbide 80 grit . :cheers:

Last edited:
I've ultrasonic-ed all my stones -natural or synthetic - at one point or another and no harm is done. Just don't throw them in the tank though - they need to be suspended in a wire or plastic basket otherwise they can grind their way through the tank! Using the silicon carbide paper on a flat surface not only cleans them but gives you a nice flat surface when you're done. I've "restored" many sway back stones this way.

Gesswein Company sells a "stone cleaning" oil that works very good. They also have a great selection of stones of all varieties.
I've heard that dry cleaning solution works very well but have never tried it.

Jay, Idaho

Back