What's new
What's new

Clear finish for Maple. No yellow effect wanted. Store bought or DIU mix?

I think if you trade wood finish for UV auto clear, it will work until the RH changes up and down for a few extended cycles. Then the finish will crack if the object is of any size.

I think it has been mentioned that some pen makers; also some cue makers use superglue finishes. Some cue makers use the auto finishes. But the adhesion and the crack (damage) resistance is not high for either one, compared to wood finishes. I'm a luddite almost septuagenarian who miraculously managed to survive in reasonably good health despite a lifetime of risky industrial chemical exposure. Since i intend to continue active participation in physically demanding passsions like skiing for another couple or 3 decades, the light has finally dawned and i really try to avoid finishing at all. When necessary, i am trying to cut back to less "risky" products. Many of which, chosen for the app, are at least as good as the more danerous products. On cues I use strictly freshly mixed superblonde shellac. It is easy to maintain or re-do. OTOH, it does not inhibit the wood under it from photo reaction.

Here is a long series of posts about cuemakers and the products they use, including automotive, and other UV resistant clears.
Brite-Tone: new waterborne finish | AzBilliards Forums

:hitsthefan:

:)

smt

Last edited:
This thread made me think of refinishing some old Gerstners. Wife bought me a brand new one, god almost 20 years ago. I was convinced that they were not using as nice a wood as they used to.

It has never been near a window ever. I have been looking at it recently and realized that the grain has come out an amazing amount over time.

One must be patient with all good things

I always thought I wanted a walnut, but playing with the old ones made me respect the 1/4 sawn oak

I spend the time with a hand rubbed finish using the Sam Maloof fornulas in his book. I described it here before:

Phase 1:
1/3 linseed oil
1/3 tung oil
1/3 varnish

Phase 2:
1/3 linseed oil
1/3 tung oil
1/3 beeswax (by feel, blending into a double beaker heated solution with wax flakes)

I substitute Formby's Tung Oil Finish or Behr Tung Finish in place of tung oil. Those big box store mixes are not entirely tung oil but it's good enough.

Downside:
Each wipe takes about 24 hours to dry. Three or four coats in both phases. Or adjust to taste. If you live in a tight space the smell is with you for a week.

some pen makers; also some cue makers use superglue finishes. Some cue makers use the auto finishes.

That is the biggest issue with something like a pen or pencil. The handling wears away the nice gloss. I find that Deft stays glossy but is not as hard as a two part finish.
I bought a small bottle called French Turning Polish and worked good. Don't know what was in it. It was like a amber syrup that wiped in good on a turning object. And dried fast.

That is the biggest issue with something like a pen or pencil. The handling wears away the nice gloss. I find that Deft stays glossy but is not as hard as a two part finish.
I bought a small bottle called French Turning Polish and worked good. Don't know what was in it. It was like a amber syrup that wiped in good on a turning object. And dried fast.

french polish is usually shellac

I love the look of shellac, and if you prep carefully you can varnish over it. I still think nothing looks quite as nice, pulls the grain out like nothing else

french polish is usually shellac

I love the look of shellac, and if you prep carefully you can varnish over it. I still think nothing looks quite as nice, pulls the grain out like nothing else

Another example of buying a small amount of magic finish in a little container.

In reality it's just a bulk purchased product. Poured into little containers and marking up the price.

rons,
we have used Sher-wood Kem Aqua plus clear for several years on fabricated Wood Bookcase/Desk counters with great results. Available at Sherwin Williams, dries fast to tough finish, easy clean up, and does not cause the yellowing concerns. Spray or brush. Changed from Deft to this product due to soft finish---
Johnny

Back