What's new
What's new

Cleereman Jig Borer

4GSR

Diamond
I was looking at a Cleereman jig borer near me for sale.

Not sure which size it is, they appear to be all the basic same size except for the length of the table. It seems to have a decent work capacity for a bigger light duty mill.
My question is what kind of spindle taper does this jig mill have? It mentions having a no. 4 Morse taper adapter and a thread on the outside of the spindle similar to a P & W jig borer has. The catalog shows some kind of test bar that looks like some kind of NMTB taper on the end of the bar. It appears to be held in the spindle with a nut.

Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on this taper? And possibly if it matches up to something standard out there?

Ken

Not sure which size it is, they appear to be all the basic same size except for the length of the table. It seems to have a decent work capacity for a bigger light duty mill.
My question is what kind of spindle taper does this jig mill have? It mentions having a no. 4 Morse taper adapter and a thread on the outside of the spindle similar to a P & W jig borer has. The catalog shows some kind of test bar that looks like some kind of NMTB taper on the end of the bar. It appears to be held in the spindle with a nut.

Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on this taper? And possibly if it matches up to something standard out there?

Ken
I had a read of the brochure. They look to be a high class machine.

Regards Tyrone

Ken
Went and picked one up a couple of years ago with a friend Ken. Have a 25" Cleereman DP that is awesome, and the price was right on the borer and we thought it might make a nice drill press and occasional mill for him. Unfortunately only came with one collet with a Jacobs chuck in it. Tried to get a MT4 end mill holder to work in the chuck collet, but we never did get it to grab securely. Don't know that he ever really figured the spindle taper out for milling. Perhaps the one you're looking at comes with a few of the Cleereman collets... The borer has less horsepower and range of speeds and feeds than my DP if I remember right. Physically larger and a bit more cumbersome to use as a DP too.
Good luck with your decision. I have a manual if you end up needing it.

Attachments

• IMG_1894.jpg
    IMG_1894.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
I can't believe nobody out there has ever been around one of these in their past. Of course, those that were may not with us today.
We have one and it came with a #4 MT collet I believe. The table feeds are rapid only with ball screws and a DRO. I was going to put some VFD drives on them for light milling. But the collet wasn't happy holding an end mill so we have only been using it as a lay out drill. As large as it is you will be pretty sore if you use it for a full shift, mostly back pain. I can check on the spindle taper for sure Tuesday. It's been 20 years ago since I checked.

I have wanted a Cleereman drill press for a number of years. Time, opportunity, locale, floor space. . .one thing or another has prevented me.

I'd prefer the type that has a round column and round table at the bottom. Thinking that under certain work height restrictions, I could shove table to the side and gain more height if need be. The drill presses were 4MT. Power fed drilling being very desirable.

For the jig borer, height restriction might be tricky, depending what and how you mount to the table.

I think Cincinnati Bickford might have dominated a little more as a competitor, in like machines, for drill presses anyway. But I think its why we see less Cleereman's around.

Last edited:
I have wanted a Cleereman drill press for a number of years. Time, opportunity, locale, floor space. . .one thing or another has prevented me.

I'd prefer the type that has a round column and round table at the bottom. Thinking that under certain work height restrictions, I could shove table to the side and gain more height if need be. The drill presses were 4MT. Power fed drilling being very desirable.

For the jig borer, height restriction might be tricky, depending what and how you mount to the table.

I think Cincinnati Bickford might have dominated a little more as a competitor, in like machines, for drill presses anyway. But I think its why we see less Cleereman's around.
Just had to do that very thing TGT. Needed to elongate the holes on a steam injector flange being made into a vise stand. That ability comes in handy occasionally if one doesn't have a radial drill. Merry Christmas, CD

Attachments

• IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0356.jpg
    IMG_0356.jpg
    675.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    755.8 KB · Views: 30
You guys answered what I wanted to know.
I really wanted to consider it for a light duty mill that would have a bit more capacity than my existing mill has. Of course, I have to build a building around it if I was to buy it.:o
I was hoping this this would be similar to the Reed Prentice No. 5 Jig mill we had many years ago in my dad's shop. Not even close. Looks like it's just a glorified drill press for punching holes in precision locations in a kind of sort of way.
Thanks for everyones input.
Ken

Nice Syncrowave welder there. Yeah, I've given up hope for it. If it's still at the machinery dealer the week after, I'll look at it. The deal breaker is the spindle and the taper in the spindle. Not too keen on using a No. 4 MT for milling. Thanks for the heads up.

Nice Syncrowave welder there. Yeah, I've given up hope for it. If it's still at the machinery dealer the week after, I'll look at it. The deal breaker is the spindle and the taper in the spindle. Not too keen on using a No. 4 MT for milling. Thanks for the heads up.
We replaced the Syncrowave with a Miler inverter.1 /3rd the size and does every thing the old 350 Syncrowave does. I really like it.The collet in the Cleerman is a MT4 female but I don't know what taper the socket is. As you can see the nut is for hand tightening as it has no notches for a collet wrench. I have the owners manual but it doesn't tell. It looks like a large ER series.

Back