What's new
What's new

Close fits or Ludwig Loewe Lapping?

magneticanomaly

Titanium
In a recent thread about the hope of making hydraulic cylinders so closely fitted as to need no seals, one responder alluded to a process developed or used by Loewe's company in the late 19th or early 20th century that improved submarine design....I guessed that he was referring to Diesel injector plungers.
Maybe not. I am not the greatest searcher.. Can anyone tell me if there is indeed a special process for economically making fits like this? And what it is?

In a recent thread about the hope of making hydraulic cylinders so closely fitted as to need no seals, one responder alluded to a process developed or used by Loewe's company in the late 19th or early 20th century that improved submarine design....I guessed that he was referring to Diesel injector plungers.
Maybe not. I am not the greatest searcher.. Can anyone tell me if there is indeed a special process for economically making fits like this? And what it is?
I know nothing about that but “ Ludwig Loewe “ made machine tools also. I worked on a horizontal milling machine they made.

Regards Tyrone.

Is there an economic process for making diesel injector components?..........I reckon there must be ,since billions of fuel injection components have been made........in the old RoosaMaster pumps ,a plunger fit some 3/8 " long is able to pump fuel at 10-20,000 psi.....Incidentally ,Bosch calls al this stuff "legacy" and all the mechanical fuel injection is now made by Bosch India.

In a thread in the "general" forum, JohnK wrote,

"Diesel injection equiptment has working fits that leak one or two drops per minute of thin fuel oil at 10,000-20,000 psi........The method of making the fits was invented by the Ludwig Loewe Co in 1916,and made submarine engines more reliable."

I will try to PM him, but i thought the subject might be of general interest here.

There is no use asking me ,because I dont know.......back in the 80s,I had the bright idea to set up a remanufacturing shop for RoosaMaster injector pumps.....which were used on a lot of mid size US diesel motors.......the enterprise failed ,as I couldnt get the required accuracy of fit to avoid seizures of the pumping plungers ........not a spectacular seizure,but of the two plungers ,one would seize and the pump would go onto half output,or zero output.

Back