What's new
What's new

CMM purchase

CJB1

Plastic
We are possibly looking at purchasing or first CMM it will be put on the shop floor. I have looked at several manufactures. I kind of like the MiStar 555 by Mitutoyo it checks alot of the boxes for our needs. Could any tell me their experience with this model pros and cons. Does any have any good experience with like version from different manufactures. The last CMM I used was in the late 80's to early 90's and it was a manual CMM I believe it was a Sheffied.

Last edited:
If I was in the market I would favor Mitutoyo here. Hexagon is a ripoff unless you like PcDmis. Zeiss is also a ripoff & Calypso software while great it's hard to figure it out if you have been working with either MCosmos or PcDmis before;user interface is totally different. We have a lab with 2 Hexagons; one is older shop floor Brown & Sharpe One. They work fine but newest PcDmis is super buggy causing machine to go haywire from time to time. Older 2016 version we have on the older machine is far better. Also Hexagon customer support used to be good not so much anymore.
Shop floor CMMs are suspect because it depends on the shop. If the air on the floor is fairly bad or plenty of vibrations even shop floor model won't work as advertised. We had this problem with our Brown&Sharpe. If you didn't clean scales with alcohol & clean rag every 3-4 weeks machine will go haywire. Once we moved it to new lab it works no problem.
Sheffield was bought by Hexagon & it was shelved entirely.

Last edited:
I ran a Brown & Sharpe for 10 years. Good machine, never had any issues. Just be sure to feed whatever you buy clean dry air.

I liked Pc-dmis, although I usually read negative comments about it.
I did find later versions buggy, always saved my work often.

I ran a Brown & Sharpe for 10 years. Good machine, never had any issues. Just be sure to feed whatever you buy clean dry air.

I liked Pc-dmis, although I usually read negative comments about it.
I did find later versions buggy, always saved my work often.
Yep same here. Saving every few minutes or so especially the newer version we got. One thing I forgot is Hexagon ended Datapage support which is annoying because it was great simple no-frills data collection software that worked well with PcDmis. Luckily Mitutoyo is not as stupid. It continues to offer MeasurLink software that links with MCosmos very well.

Last edited:
After considering all options we just purchased a Mitutoyo Crysta Apex 7106. We looked at Zeiss, Mitsu, Fowler, Keyence and OGP. Hexagon we eliminated early based on support and experience with they're sales team and corporate policies.
We were looking hard are the DURAMAX & Contura vs Mystar & Apex, also OGP's Flexpoint (CMM with video). We also were considering lifetime cost NOT purchase price. Software is one of the most important considerations as we do not intend to have a QC only manager so ease of use is critical. We have a highly skilled workforce and all are computer literate but not all are "programmers". We thought the MCOSMOS was right for our people vs Calipso (slightly more difficult), PCDiems(most difficult)- TOTALLY OUR OPINION based on demos and an hour or less of using each package.
We have a temp controlled area were we hold 68-71 deg F (EDM area)next to our machine floor which is why the air bearing CMM won vs the shop floor units. We also chose to pay for onsite Mitutoyo training rather then going to Boston.

Companied who force additional software as sales revenue stream to their customers who are spending real money on hardware SUCKS MY A-S. We won't choose to support that if avoidable. Mitutoyo is much better then most.

The CMM crates are soaking in their new home and install is scheduled for Monday. Fingers crossed we made the right choice. Good Luck, it took us almost a month to get through demos, questions, tests and asking friends for favors.

After considering all options we just purchased a Mitutoyo Crysta Apex 7106. We looked at Zeiss, Mitsu, Fowler, Keyence and OGP. Hexagon we eliminated early based on support and experience with they're sales team and corporate policies.
We were looking hard are the DURAMAX & Contura vs Mystar & Apex, also OGP's Flexpoint (CMM with video). We also were considering lifetime cost NOT purchase price. Software is one of the most important considerations as we do not intend to have a QC only manager so ease of use is critical. We have a highly skilled workforce and all are computer literate but not all are "programmers". We thought the MCOSMOS was right for our people vs Calipso (slightly more difficult), PCDiems(most difficult)- TOTALLY OUR OPINION based on demos and an hour or less of using each package.
We have a temp controlled area were we hold 68-71 deg F (EDM area)next to our machine floor which is why the air bearing CMM won vs the shop floor units. We also chose to pay for onsite Mitutoyo training rather then going to Boston.

Companied who force additional software as sales revenue stream to their customers who are spending real money on hardware SUCKS MY A-S. We won't choose to support that if avoidable. Mitutoyo is much better then most.

The CMM crates are soaking in their new home and install is scheduled for Monday. Fingers crossed we made the right choice. Good Luck, it took us almost a month to get through demos, questions, tests and asking friends for favors.
Very well. Hopefully choosing Mitutoyo is right on the mark. When it's time to replace our B&S One, Mitu will be on top of the list for certain. Zeiss could be there too but the difficulty with totally different software user interface is a non-starter (a view also shared by Renishaw apps engineer I chatted with about CMM softwares). MCosmos is close enough to PcDmis in user interface minus Hexagon already well known quality, corporate, licencing & support problems. The only thing works in Hexagon's favor is PcDmis Forum which is fairly good help but even there I asked some questions & never got the right answer.
If your ambient air, air supply, vibrations & temp (which looks good) are acceptable for air driven CMM that is a good choice.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention Hexagon also bought out B&S, Leitz, DEA, Romer Arm, Sheffield, TESA, WIlcox (makers of PcDmis), Leica, CE Johansson, & CimCore Arm.
And yet Zeiss makes more dough than Hexagon, Renishaw runs circles around it with PH20, Revo, & CNC probing options, and Mitutoyo wasn't made to board the boat back to Tokyo but is still going strong & stronger thanks to the Mistar Triple 5.
At the same time most of those venerable metrology companies Hexagon bought had been dumped to the wastebasket of history.

Been in the CMM business. Know all these listed.
Users like software. Often they ignore 6 sigma repeatability and accuracy.
Of course they all publish crazy specs on this.... Prove it on my parts.
Been in the meetings with marketing and told them that they are lying through their teeth. That does not go over well in the world of selling.
For sure easy to use software is very important.
IMO Mits makes very decent machines in this world. Not the super high accuracy of some but very good price/performance and durable.
Maybe it is not what it does new but how well it does after a few years of abuse and living where it has to.
How often do you want to pay to recalibrate and align your CMM? Six months, once a year, once in five years, ten years? This is not cheap to do.

Last edited:
Hi, I highly recommend taking a look at Verisurf as they offer a range of shop floor inspection and CMM solutions. Their software is also incredibly easy and powerful and supports all CMMs. Their customer support is outstanding also.

Not sure about Verisurf but I have used CMM Manager, Calypso & a bit of MCosmos/GeoPak all have been better (less stressful than Pc.Dmis)

Back