What's new
What's new

CNC/Manual Machining content creators

Pistonring12

Plastic
Just a quick question, as a rookie in the manufacturing/machining industry I want to dedicate all my time to learning the trade. Who are some solid youtubers I could watch to learn manual machining and also cnc programming/setup?

Youtube is great after you have some experience. You'll learn more in an hour at a shop with an experienced machinist doing it then days on the internet. Personally, I'd spend the time finding a small shop w an old timer and volunteer to help him in return for some training. If you have any aptitude for this, he'll have you machining something day1.
Watching hours of videos of someone else running a lathe doesn't translate to you knowing how to run it. Book/video knowledge isn't experience.

There is a newer guy I saw called Adam the Machinist that has some good videos too. I know I'm forgetting others, I just don't watch YouTube that much. Who you find good to watch will probably be pretty dependent on your experience level...

There is a newer guy I saw called Adam the Machinist that has some good videos too. I know I'm forgetting others, I just don't watch YouTube that much. Who you find good to watch will probably be pretty dependent on your experience level...
Really like Adam the Machinist channel. He and Renzetti are probably my favorites, even though they are doing way more advanced work than the basic stuff I do. Still learn something from them. Edge Precision is another. Even though I have nothing but manual machines, I still pick up little things that can help in a non CNC setting. I like Inheritance Machining just to see his hand drawn sketches, as they are beautiful!

Youtube is great after you have some experience. You'll learn more in an hour at a shop with an experienced machinist doing it then days on the internet. Personally, I'd spend the time finding a small shop w an old timer and volunteer to help him in return for some training. If you have any aptitude for this, he'll have you machining something day1.
Watching hours of videos of someone else running a lathe doesn't translate to you knowing how to run it. Book/video knowledge isn't experience.
LOL, those "old guys" have packed up and gone to the house or died. There are none that I know of around here. (North Alabama). The currently existing shops are big CNC shops and "they ain't got time for all that".

Many people are stuck having to learn from videos and forums simply because times change.

Brett W is, I fear, quite right. Your best bet is to start machining and just iterate between trying things, watching videos, trying more things, and so on. Learning is always an interplay of your experience and the materials before you. Regarding ABom, I am really keen to watch him embark on his CNC journey and I'm very much hoping it catches fire in his mind and he does more and more projects that way, but sharing his evolving knowledge and thought processes along the way. I've been through this to some extent myself, and getting to grips with CNC thinking, and how it better captures design intent than manual methods, is the coolest thing.

I have learned a lot about basic G-code from G-code tutor. I believe he's made some content with PM.

This Old Tony is also educational and entertaining.

Titans Of CNC is really popular but I find his content to be less educational and more clickbaity. I wouldn't watch them for anything other than entertainment.

but I find his content to be less educational and more clickbaity.
It's clickbaity to pay for the free educational stuff they have. The entire academy is free. Is it any good? I couldn't answer that as I've not looked at it.
And I agree, their normal YouTube stuff isn't all that great.

Check out The Precision Microcast podcast. Adam co hosts with Josh Hacko (the watchmaker). They cover some unique topics like grinding and micro machining along with standard shop topics.

Back