What's new
What's new

CNC shop being turned down for business insurance. Who insures you?

Those opera signing commercials are the absolute worst. I think some of the Allstate mayhem ones are funny. The 16 year old girl who broke up with her boyfriend crashing in to cars in a parking lot was a classic.

I like the other Guico adverts "We love our new house, but there is a clogging problem"
and the one with the muppet "animal" too.....

We had to try twice with Sentry. The "system" rejected us, but once I spoke to an actual agent it was a layup.

Super competitive rates, and it's nice to know we are actually insured in case of an emergency instead of just paying for a worthless general liability policy.

Sometimes it's just so hard to find an actual human to override the process for you.

I have a customer who's expecting me to have a policy with Commercial general liability limits of:
Each Occurence = $5mil
General Aggregate = $5mil
Products Comp/op Agg = $5mil

Cyber liability
Each Occurence = $2mil
Aggregate = $2mil

Just to set foot into their building.

I talked to AIS, they just laughed, their words were "if you can find those limits, you will not be able to afford the premium" They know I'm a single proprieter.

I figure it's some young millenial in the office pulling these values out of their arse.

Had a situation like that as well. Client is a huge company. One-man shop (non-machining). Not a 'large' customer in terms of sales, though. Not only would no insurance company quote or write anywhere near the client's desired coverage, but even backing it down to what was actually available meant that the premiums exceeded their annual sales volume with me. Told them I could meet their demands, but their rates would increase 2.5x. A higher-up got back and said: "Why are we even asking for this, with the amount we buy from you?" I agreed, of course. Whole insurance exercise was cancelled, and they booked the next job the next week. Wish I could have back the days spent investigating things, though.

I swear to whatever non-denominational god that is listening I WILL SLAP YOU.

*Edit
Oh damnit all to hell, now you've gone and gotten the Dalworth Clean jingle stuck in my head.

Yeah, well, I used to enjoy a nice glass of Southern Comfort on the deck in the evening. Now, I can't look at the bottle without seeing the fat guy on the beach, wearing nothing but a budgie-smuggler and zipper boots.

Did you ever notice that most of the characters on TV named Doug, are idiots, special needs, dorks, etc.?
It is slightly aggravating.

Truth hurts huh? :D

Also, why are there so many Dougs here? It's like the first shop I worked at. If you waited for the right people to gather you could shout BOB! and have 4 people turn their heads.

When I was starting out there were 2 Pete's in the shop, it wasn't too long and one got renamed RePete as most everything he did needed some form of rework, he wasn't there long

Truth hurts huh? :D

Also, why are there so many Dougs here? It's like the first shop I worked at. If you waited for the right people to gather you could shout BOB! and have 4 people turn their heads.

I worked at a place where all first operation Swiss guys on 2nd were named Bob. I was the Bob on the two CNCs, and there were 3 Bobs covering 9 cam automatics.

What do call a man with no arms and legs in the ocean? .......Bob

More of interest here insurance required to play.
Not just in the door or talk to people.
To have a vendor pass I was required to show company insurance on my car to drive into the parking lot.
"But it is my private car". NO-no not allowed.... Who makes these rules?
Bob

I have found over the years to just go to your local brokers for insurance. If you tell them you are shopping around, and you better be talking to at least 5 different because they will jack your quote if they think your not shopping around.

They will find you the cheapest price and my up charge is probably $2,000 a year for personal auto, commercial auto, GL, WC so it is well worth it. Especially when you need certs and special requirements for companies. A broker can get them added easily wherr you may need to jump through hoops to get it.

I have found over the years to just go to your local brokers for insurance. If you tell them you are shopping around, and you better be talking to at least 5 different because they will jack your quote if they think your not shopping around.

They will find you the cheapest price and my up charge is probably $2,000 a year for personal auto, commercial auto, GL, WC so it is well worth it. Especially when you need certs and special requirements for companies. A broker can get them added easily where you may need to jump through hoops to get it.

I have found otherwise.....I now pay my insurance premiums Directly to the companies, avoiding my worthless broker.
I used to walk in, pay in cash, get a receipt, a week later, they would call me
"Doug your premium is due"
"yes, I paid it last week, I have my receipt"
"ohhh, here is it, right here".....uh huh.
Actual insurance companies called me sometimes, as the broker was holding the money back.
The worst salesman caused me many headaches, said he would "fix things"
I got dropped from a company after I fixed everything on their inspection punch list.
Local salesman was supposed to send in pix showing compliance.

Never did, and I got dropped.
I immediately called the head office of the carrier, and spoke to someone there, explained, and sent in the pix (that local sales man never did)

I alone, got my insurance re-instated.

a few years go by, sales girl tell me that the guy "is gone", apparently she did not know of all the trouble he caused me, I had to explain to her.

Back