What's new
What's new

Collet King?

SIP6A

Titanium
Does anybody know what became of Collet King, Paul Smolk of Addison, (Chicago) IL. His last eBay feedback that was left for him by a buyer was 1-9-2022, it's a complaint about not receiving what they bought.

Last edited:
HMMM Collet King, not Collet Guru. First thing I thought of Larry Vanice, the title Practical Machinist's Collet Guru would be fitting for him. Outstanding resource here.

Collet King no clue.

Even so, that indicates he could be "in the zone" for age and health issues to cause downing of tools?
Well he does have health issues he's dead. I was thinking that there would be somebody here that might have known him and been able to supply some details. All that is knows is that he died between Thanksgiving and the first of the year. He was well known on eBay and well liked by everybody that knew him.

Does anybody know what became of Collet King, Paul Smolk of Addison, (Chicago) IL. His last eBay feedback that was left for him by a buyer was 1-9-2022, it's a complaint about not receiving what they bought.
Bought a number of items from him on Ebay...he was kind of old school with handwritten receipts/invoices. Fair prices. Figured age or health issues caught up.

I bought a full set of Hardinge 5C collets from him before by 64ths.
Good ebay seller. Was happy with my collets.

-Doozer
Paul was a great guy, and a good friend for 30+ years. He did pass at his shop just before Thanksgiving.

He enjoyed good German beer, going to machinery auctions, and the music of Fred Eaglesmith. Hated winter, and never missed a chance to tell you that spring was here. He would send out this picture via text in March for *Spring*.

He had one of the largest center drills I had ever seen... it had a body of 2", and about 10" long. He said it was for his "desktop" lathe. He never would sell it to me... Obviously, a great sense of humor.

Attachments

• Paul_Smolk_spring.jpg
    Paul_Smolk_spring.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 47
That's the worst part about dying...someone can leave negative feedback for you on eBay and you have no recourse. Then, that happens even if you're alive....

Back