What's new
What's new

Comet 2KS

Jkkelle

Plastic
I recently obtained a Comet 2KS milling machine (Bridgeport j head copy) and need to connect to a VFD. Anyone have any experience with these or have a wiring diagram? I plan to run motor direct to VFD output and run switch through the VFD controls. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2967.jpeg
    IMG_2967.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2968.jpeg
    IMG_2968.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
I recently obtained a Comet 2KS milling machine (Bridgeport j head copy) and need to connect to a VFD. Anyone have any experience with these or have a wiring diagram? I plan to run motor direct to VFD output and run switch through the VFD controls. Any help appreciated.
I did this to my Comet 3VHG. I purchased a new switch since the contacts on the original were pretty pitted from arc marks. I used an Automation Direct GCX1320-22 switch and a WEG-CFW300 drive (my mill has a 3hp motor.

The wiring is fairly simple. I am attaching a couple of photos.

Basically, the wiring is a common wire wired to the switch and 1 wire for forward and 1 for reverse. Every VFD brand is slightly different, so the parameters for selecting remote switching are unique. I did the same thing to my SB-13 lathe but I used a different VFD.

Since I wanted to have the mill ramp down faster than coasting, I added a braking resistor so the voltage/current spike could be handled by the VFD.

I have had good experiences with Automation Direct, no affiliation, just a happy customer. Their tech support is very helpful.

Dan

Attachments

• IMG20240321135209.jpg
    IMG20240321135209.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG20240321135139.jpg
    IMG20240321135139.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG20240321135133.jpg
    IMG20240321135133.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
I did this to my Comet 3VHG. I purchased a new switch since the contacts on the original were pretty pitted from arc marks. I used an Automation Direct GCX1320-22 switch and a WEG-CFW300 drive (my mill has a 3hp motor.

The wiring is fairly simple. I am attaching a couple of photos.

Basically, the wiring is a common wire wired to the switch and 1 wire for forward and 1 for reverse. Every VFD brand is slightly different, so the parameters for selecting remote switching are unique. I did the same thing to my SB-13 lathe but I used a different VFD.

Since I wanted to have the mill ramp down faster than coasting, I added a braking resistor so the voltage/current spike could be handled by the VFD.

I have had good experiences with Automation Direct, no affiliation, just a happy customer. Their tech support is very helpful.

Dan
Worked great!! Thank you! Any leads for parts on a comet?

Mighty Comet is still in business. Their website is mightyusa.com. They have a form you fill out on the parts menu.
Usually it takes a few days and a couple of emails to get all the information required, then you can get what you need.

I have a manual I purchased from them, however, it doesn't have everything you need as the part numbers seem to have changed. I have gotten some general parts from other places, so that can work too. It just depends upon what it is.

Regards,

Dan

Back