What's new
What's new

Compact VMC Selection $60k-$70k

On our proprietary ceramic machines, the dry ones had HEPA vacuum systems, and sealed cabinets. with cyclone systems that emptied into bags.
I liked the coolant systems better, they were filtered water and lemon oil, much cleaner system.
These had built in sludge sumps and fiter separators.

The dry machines were carbide tooling the wet ones diamond.
They are interchangable though.
Diamond you roughing carbide for finish.

TSC as you mention would be a no go for me, if they must have it, custom filter system.

HPC will actually be damaging to most green state ceramics, would depe d on their prefused state of course, but the Alumina a d Ziconium I machined was like chalk, HPC would erode or cut it like a water jet. IMHO

Dry ceramics on a non purpose built machine will ruin it quickly IMHO

All the ceramic machines I've seen are over $60k

So kinda like using the screw driver as a chisel.
What are the differences, generally speaking, between a dedicated ceramics machine and a dedicated graphite machine?

What are the differences, generally speaking, between a dedicated ceramics machine and a dedicated graphite machine?
I haven't seen a non-proprietary ceramic machine.
The ones I've seen were almost waterproof though.
All the factory modified graphite machines I have seen have large HEPA filter systems and cut dry.
Hurco was the last place I saw offering one.
Graphite dust is conductive, seen it ruin electronics. good times. :D

Just as a referencence.
Ive seen machines without way covers.
In stead they were more Iike a bridge mill.
axis were driven from isolated cabinets with stainless rods connected to the table, rods sealed with mutiple shaft seals.

totally sealed, you could fill with coolant really.

I bought a 4020 sized Akira-Seiki from Kyocera. It was just a few years old and the rails were all sloppy. They bought 3 of them and milled ceramics with them. They just bought whatever the cheapest Taiwan VMC's were at the time and used them until they wouldn't go anymore then sold or scrapped them.

I haven't seen a non-proprietary ceramic machine.
The ones I've seen were almost waterproof though.
All the factory modified graphite machines I have seen have large HEPA filter systems and cut dry.
Hurco was the last place I saw offering one.
Graphite dust is conductive, seen it ruin electronics. good times. :D
Hurco was the reason I was asking, it's the only one I can think of that might be somewhat close to budget...

I machined stone, hard ceramics, and quartz surface materials for close to 20 years so have some experience with it on a VMC. Tools used were 3" facemills, 2" corner rounders, and 1/4" and smaller routers and drills. I learned everything through trial and error on the cheap. For filtration I found my ceramic seals in the coolant pump would last a year filtered to 20 microns absolute and 13 years and still going filtered below 1 micron so the TSC seal may not be a problem. The problem filtering that fine is it would strip some of the rust inhibitors out of the synthetic coolant I used, but not bad enough to make me change anything. I never damaged any of my machines but the last was a fixed table with accordion way covers. The normal telescopic covers with rubber seals don't work. The slurry will kill the seals in a few hours as it wears rubber very fast. You can make a normal VMC last cutting this stuff but it takes a little work and a couple grand to prep the machine and set up a coolant filtration system.

Hollow core drills need through the tool coolant, one way or another. TSC on the end mill shape tools doesn't work very well, you need the coolant focused spraying on the tool. Many ways to skin this cat but the end results vary considerably.

In what world would Makino sell a company a machine, then actually take it back when that customer climbed around and saw commodity parts from China in it? I've never heard of such shenanigans - taking a machine back is like a catastrophic failure for the organization who sold it (like- people get fired). If Chinese content % was a critical GO/NOGO for a customer, that would need to be mentioned by them up-front, and dealt with before a PO was signed.

What's the betting somebodies gonna be calling their friendly Makino salesman Monday 8am?. If it happened it'd be the talk of the town.

I'm watching to see if anything pops up on TMZ.

Maybe not that smart, had the Ravens over the Chiefs by 7 :cry: :cry::angry:
So did everybody else ... kinda follow-the-leader, like a lot of people here. "Integration", you'd think this was 1964 alabama. We're talking about a bottom-end, no-features cheap 3 axis throwaway vmc. Too silly.

And oh yeah, they sent back a makino because "it had too many chinese parts". Pull the other one, its got bells on.

Gotta say happiness tho, I'd rather play the chiefs than the ravens. Is alex smith still there ? :)

Harbaugh has kicked our ass a few times, the guy is scary. Kaepernick to Crabtree, soooooo close.

So did everybody else ... kinda follow-the-leader, like a lot of people here. "Integration", you'd think this was 1964 alabama. We're talking about a bottom-end, no-features cheap 3 axis throwaway vmc. Too silly.

And oh yeah, they sent back a makino because "it had too many chinese parts". Pull the other one, its got bells on.

Gotta say happiness tho, I'd rather play the chiefs than the ravens. Is alex smith still there ? :)

Harbaugh has kicked our ass a few times, the guy is scary. Kaepernick to Crabtree, soooooo close.

oh the glory days of Montana and Young!

----------------------------------------------

I don't believe either for a second the Makino story.

But I wonder if this machine was in a DOD or DOD supplier establishment, and somewhere in the PO there were DFAR's requirements pertaining to the provenance of the machine and the source of it's parts. I mean highly highly unlikely, but not completely out of the realm of stupidity these days. Therefore I give it 1% plausibility. And that's a stretch.

If it turns out I'm wrong I'm happy to go to the local whore house, spread peanut butter all over my junk and have somebody lick it off.Hopefully somebody without a peanut allergy, don't want them going into anaphylactic shock. at least not until I'm cleaned up.

I don't believe either for a second the Makino story.

But I wonder if this machine was in a DOD or DOD supplier establishment, and somewhere in the PO there were DFAR's requirements pertaining to the provenance of the machine and the source of it's parts. I mean highly highly unlikely, but not completely out of the realm of stupidity these days. Therefore I give it 1% plausibility. And that's a stretch.
I knew you knew exactly who would create such a scenario from your previous posts. I agree it would be hard to believe something getting returned but, I can see the end recipient of the machine being meek about it, not pushing back from within the company and doing whatever some middle manager wants done. There are managers who think it's their job to fight these fights and will absolutely torpedo the company to make a point.

One thing to know about the DN DEM 4000 is that the tails of the Z rails are exposed at machine Z0. That's Ok with decent coolant and metal chips, but not so much with ceramic dust.

oh the glory days of Montana and Young!
Montana is all right, got to be almost as good as stabler by the end of his career but I could never stand steve "happy feet" young. He's a decent announcer tho.

Does look like we have a new strategy - give the other team a good head start, make it exciting for the fans. I do wish purdy could run a little bit tho, that'd be good. And now the niners have a couple of unusual stats - ba has the most rebounds and dre has the most yards by a defensive running back :)

nice game, detroit. If we hadn't won, you deserved it.

Perhaps I am under the mistaken impression that 670 block lookahead (mits) would provide much better performance in surfacing (flowline/morph/scallop) toolpaths then the 20 block lookahead on the Fanuc.
20 block look-ahead on the Fanuc?
Surely that's being sarcastic.....right? Unless you're talking about a Fanuc 6M.
Stock look-ahead is 200 I believe and you can option it to go more if you need.

I bought a 4020 sized Akira-Seiki from Kyocera. It was just a few years old and the rails were all sloppy. They bought 3 of them and milled ceramics with them. They just bought whatever the cheapest Taiwan VMC's were at the time and used them until they wouldn't go anymore then sold or scrapped them.
Kyocera had a different philosophy in the late 80s-early 90s. Their Vancouver operation anyway. I did 4th axis retrofits on a couple Moris that they custom ordered with ceramic/graphite machining option. Those were pretty cool. Double wiper seals on the way covers. Same on the ways and ball nuts and each had an air line feeding air into the wiper assembly to prevent dust or slurry intrusion. I never found out the added cost for that option but I’m sure it was not cheap. Makino offered a similar option and also advertised it for grinding use on an HMC. Never saw one of those in the wild, only in their Mason demo hall.

20 block look-ahead on the Fanuc?
Surely that's being sarcastic.....right? Unless you're talking about a Fanuc 6M.
Stock look-ahead is 200 I believe and you can option it to go more if you need.
Stock is 40 blox on my DEM 4000. If DN's marketing department was smart, they'd advertise it as "2000-block look-ahead performance." ;-) In any event, I confess I have not found the limits of 40-block look-ahead.

Stock is 40 blox on my DEM 4000. If DN's marketing department was smart, they'd advertise it as "2000-block look-ahead performance." ;-) In any event, I confess I have not found the limits of 40-block look-ahead.
Maybe I'm thinking of the AIC option which the default is 200 blocks if I remember right.

Back