What's new
What's new

Compact VMC Selection $60k-$70k

Kyocera had a different philosophy in the late 80s-early 90s. Their Vancouver operation anyway. I did 4th axis retrofits on a couple Moris that they custom ordered with ceramic/graphite machining option. Those were pretty cool. Double wiper seals on the way covers. Same on the ways and ball nuts and each had an air line feeding air into the wiper assembly to prevent dust or slurry intrusion. I never found out the added cost for that option but I’m sure it was not cheap. Makino offered a similar option and also advertised it for grinding use on an HMC. Never saw one of those in the wild, only in their Mason demo hall.
My money is on making accordion covers that could be installed on top of the standard telescopic covers with magnets. That way you would have some redundancy in protection and when you wanted to cut metal or plastic you could just take them off. My experience is you don't want that slurry on anything that slides across anything, it's in bold because that is an absolute rule. As long as you filter the coolant properly I don't think you will have any issues regarding the spindle, I never did but did have the spindle nose develop a nice slurry crust on it. I only machined wet with a 70 psi focused coolant delivery though.

My money is on making accordion covers that could be installed on top of the standard telescopic covers with magnets. ....
If the user is dilligent about keeping the accordion covers pretty well flushed off, they would be very good. I've seen several instances where accordion covers got a build up of sludge or grit in the vees and then they don't compress well and start leaking or bending/breaking stuff.

If the user is dilligent about keeping the accordion covers pretty well flushed off, they would be very good. I've seen several instances where accordion covers got a build up of sludge or grit in the vees and then they don't compress well and start leaking or bending/breaking stuff.
Yep, there will be increased maintenance. But if you don't want to deal with the extra maintenance you better stay away from grinding on a VMC.

Too add info to this thread, GF Mikron rep stopped by today, we were talking about this subject.
he said they make a linear motor, wet/coolant cut machine for graphite.
linear motors means there are no ballscrews to be damaged or worn out.

Too add info to this thread, GF Mikron rep stopped by today, we were talking about this subject.
he said they make a linear motor, wet/coolant cut machine for graphite.
linear motors means there are no ballscrews to be damaged or worn out.
So you use coolant to cut graphite on that machine?

If it turns out I'm wrong I'm happy to go to the local whore house, spread peanut butter all over my junk and have somebody lick it off.Hopefully somebody without a peanut allergy, don't want them going into anaphylactic shock. at least not until I'm cleaned up.
how exactly is that penance for being wrong?

DEM 4000 with turd level basic Fanuc control is not suited to 3d surfacing of organic shapes. I wouldn't consider it.

Back