What's new
What's new

Continental y112

I got my old clark c20 lift fired up and running smoothly with the new electronic distributor. Continental y112 gas engine. It now cranks easy and idles well. It still has a problem when you try to throttle it up. It sucks a bunch of air and falls on its face. It had this problem before but would ease up once it was up to temp. Changing the timing does not impact this. I am thinking I need to clean up the carburetor. The build sheet lists #667525 . The word Bendl is on the side of the carb. The things I see online show a Zenith carb for that number. My carb looks like the pictures of the Zenith carb.
Any other ideas what else I could check before I take off that carb? It looks like it won't be any fun getting it off!
update: I was running my truck again and tried pulling out the choke cable. With the choke cable pulled to about 80% the truck runs like a dream and will take the throttle with no hesitation or coughing. Not sure what this could signal or point to?

I got my old clark c20 lift fired up and running smoothly with the new electronic distributor. Continental y112 gas engine. It now cranks easy and idles well. It still has a problem when you try to throttle it up. It sucks a bunch of air and falls on its face. It had this problem before but would ease up once it was up to temp. Changing the timing does not impact this. I am thinking I need to clean up the carburetor. The build sheet lists #667525 . The word Bendl is on the side of the carb. The things I see online show a Zenith carb for that number. My carb looks like the pictures of the Zenith carb.
Any other ideas what else I could check before I take off that carb? It looks like it won't be any fun getting it off!
update: I was running my truck again and tried pulling out the choke cable. With the choke cable pulled to about 80% the truck runs like a dream and will take the throttle with no hesitation or coughing. Not sure what this could signal or point to?
When you are choking it you are cutting back on the air so that gives you a richer mixture. It is running lean for some reason, plugged fuel filter, plugged carb, low float level are the first things to check.

When you are choking it you are cutting back on the air so that gives you a richer mixture. It is running lean for some reason, plugged fuel filter, plugged carb, low float level are the first things to check.
Or it may have a vacuum leak at the intake or a hose if there is anything that requires it such as a spark advance or other?

Prolly no vacuum advance on that unit. intake air leak is very possible. check the carb flange gasket, manifold to block gasket and if everything is good make sure the intake manifold is not rusted through to the exhaust where the 2 manifolds are connected together

If there is an intake air leak, the engine will run the worst at idle speeds, when manifold vacuum is the highest. As the throttle opens, vacuum would drop, and the engine would begin to run more normally. I would not be looking in that direction. Either is there is a fuel problem affecting either the mid range or full speed fuel circuits or possibly a restriction of fuel flow into the carb bowl, or the ignition is weak and failing when the compression pressures rise upon the throttle opening. If the choke cures the problem, most likely it is a plugged fuel passage problem.

Back