What's new
What's new

Control voltage for 10EE

Jdub63

Aluminum
What is the normal voltage for the controls? My square dial lathe has ELSR switches, the gearbox solenoid and a spindle lock safety switch. I’m pretty sure the speed pot is designed for 10volts, but I’m unsure of the others. AC or DC?

If the question is: are the ELSR switches compatible with the 10 VDC control voltages uses in the Spedster drive (related to this post), the answer is yes. I don't know the switch voltages used on a WiaD drive, but square-dial motor/generator machines use 115 VDC for the ELSR switches.

I don't think that the WiaD potentiometers will be useful with Spedster drive, however. As I understand it, WiaD machines use a special pair of stacked rheostats that only vary over half of their rotational range: one changes during the first half, the other during the second. That potentiometer stack is of value to people with WiaD drives, so don't throw it away. It shouldn't be difficult to interface a generic 10k pot to the original control knob, if that's what you want.

I think the ELSR switches would be ok, I’m more interested in the solenoid that control the gearbox lockout. What voltage was used to retract and extend the solenoid.

I don't know. The version of the schematic that I have doesn't seem to include that feature.

Hopefully one of the WiaD experts will know.

The few schematics that I have don't show the solenoid coil. All the control transformers I can see in any schematic are 120 output.

If you have a 10EE with the spindle or door solenoid you could just hang a meter over it and find out the voltage. If it's been disabled you should still be able to trace the wiring. If the wiring has been ripped out I'd just put in a 120v solenoid hung off the fwd/rev contactor coils (F1-1 to 20 in at least one of my schematics). I think that'd work and is inline with the spindle interlock switch.

Let me know if you want to see the schematics, I could email then to a regular email address.

Back