What's new
What's new

Copper $30 a pound???

Comatose

Titanium
I just got a quote back on 1/4" diameter 182 copper at thirty bucks a pound from one of the usual suppliers. Not ground or anything. Around 100 pounds. I haven't had to buy copper recently and sure, everything is up double but come on.

Is this just a "we don't have any, go away" quote or is anyone actually paying close to that? Because if that's what it's come to, I'm gonna take up meth, lose my teeth and start stealing air conditioners instead of working.

Does anyone midwest-y have a decent source recently? I'll need about 1000 pounds over the year, but hot damn not at that price.

Wouldn't surprise me, lots of shortages the part year and half for copper wire and prices have gone insane but none of it has slowed down construction any around here, nor have the $14 2x4's. Most builders are booked for a year ahead.

Just check your sources and lead time if they can even find any, then pass on the costs+markup profit. If the customer isn't happy they can try to find a better deal elsewhere.

I have a project that requires about 600# of 101. $18 per # and we would need to wait until October for our mill of choice.

Just check your sources and lead time if they can even find any, then pass on the costs+markup profit. If the customer isn't happy they can try to find a better deal elsewhere.

Yeah, we manufacture products, not parts, so the customer is me, and I'm not happy.

Check with some others. Farmers Copper is local here, if they have a similar price that would tell you something. If they are a whole bunch cheaper then just pay the freight.

Yeah, we manufacture products, not parts, so the customer is me, and I'm not happy.

So you manufacture products that nobody buys?
Usually there's an end user somewhere down the line and usually if its a product they need they'll pay the retail price. Inflation isn't likely to go away anytime soon. Could always get into selling scrap parts as NTF's though... or just tell them your copper parts are a "long term precious metals investment".

So you manufacture products that nobody buys?
Usually there's an end user somewhere down the line and usually if its a product they need they'll pay the retail price. Inflation isn't likely to go away anytime soon. Could always get into selling scrap parts as NTF's though... or just tell them your copper parts are a "long term precious metals investment".

I mean, I don't want to dismiss your understanding of my business out of hand, but sadly this is consumer electronics, and we already fight at a HUGE disadvantage to our competitors, who are mostly operating out of China. China has massive subsidies on commodities. Further, the spot price of copper is only $4.50 right now, so there's no compelling reason a pretty standard product should be $30 a pound.

But, sure. I'll jack up my prices to whatever. I bet I could make even more money if I bought all my materials at McMaster Carr for six times the price, then applied a 50% markup. Why didn't I think of that.

I've had difficulty finding copper all year at any price. Had to pass on a few expedites for larger parts made out of C110, because material is months out.

+1 for checking Farmer's Copper. Pretty sure somebody on this board recommended them to me. They have always had the most reasonable pricing and ability to find tricky products.

There are definitely places buying up tons of material and sitting on it right now. I think it's a bit like buying toilet paper at the beginning of the pandemic - the shortage is being driven by artificial demand - which is driven by the shortage. :crazy:

I've had difficulty finding copper all year at any price. Had to pass on a few expedites for larger parts made out of C110, because material is months out.

+1 for checking Farmer's Copper. Pretty sure somebody on this board recommended them to me. They have always had the most reasonable pricing and ability to find tricky products.

There are definitely places buying up tons of material and sitting on it right now. I think it's a bit like buying toilet paper at the beginning of the pandemic - the shortage is being driven by artificial demand - which is driven by the shortage. :crazy:
Because I am on the way from Corpus Christi to San Antonio they deliver even small quantities at no charge. No bent rods, just good service. It has been many years since their outside sales guy has been here and we ran out of their free pens. I asked the driver the last time and he gave us a hand full.
So far every one there has been good people. In the past they have had Swiss quality bars and I buy them when I have a choice. Swiss quality will spin faster with less rattling in a conventional lathe.

if they give you a price that is about the same, then you are getting a fair quote from your usual source. Hate to hear copper has become a precious metal, but maybe that is the way it is today.

So my totes of scrap bronze are worth something currently?
Bounce.gif

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

That gives me an idea ... we could keep track of what Congressmen are buying and set up a fund based on that ... we could call it the Insiders Fund, or something like that.

Someone already is...................There is a web page for stock investment based upon their purchasing and selling habits..

"copper" is always pretty pricey, because there are so many alloys of it. so called "brass" and "bronze" alone are probably 30 to 50 different standard commercial alloys. Nobody wants to make, and stock, all of em in every shape and so many are rare and expensive.
Sure, it starts at the spot price for a pound of copper, in London, in 40,000lb lots.
But by the time you get it to a specific alloy, and then roll it into rounds or plate, its always gone up a lot in price.

I had a railing job a few years ago, I needed silicon bronze (over 96% copper, a smidge of silicon or manganese, tin, iron or zinc- recipe varies according to mill)
It ran me about 3 times the spot price, in a $10,000 order. That was before everything got so expensive...

Farmers, Copper and Brass Supply, Atlas, Rotax, National Bronze, Alaskan Copper, Millard, and a few others are the ones I call- and often, one wont have something, another will, and price per pound can get crazy, depends on alloy, shape, and so on. 2" square tube in bronze, for example, can be mighty pricey.

Bottom line, though- 8 billion people on earth, and every one of em wants electric lights, a fridge, and a washing machine.
the demand for copper is never going to drop, until somebody invents a wire that conducts electricity made from mushrooms or recycled pop bottles.

Unless that question was rhetorical, my answer is, "No one."

And yesterday at Home Depot a 250 foot roll of 12-2 Romex was $169!

Holy crap! Sure glad I think I am done rewiring my house, other than replacing wall sockets and light switches. Let's go Brandon!

"copper" is always pretty pricey, because there are so many alloys of it. so called "brass" and "bronze" alone are probably 30 to 50 different standard commercial alloys. Nobody wants to make, and stock, all of em in every shape and so many are rare and expensive.
Sure, it starts at the spot price for a pound of copper, in London, in 40,000lb lots.
But by the time you get it to a specific alloy, and then roll it into rounds or plate, its always gone up a lot in price.

I had a railing job a few years ago, I needed silicon bronze (over 96% copper, a smidge of silicon or manganese, tin, iron or zinc- recipe varies according to mill)
It ran me about 3 times the spot price, in a $10,000 order. That was before everything got so expensive...

Farmers, Copper and Brass Supply, Atlas, Rotax, National Bronze, Alaskan Copper, Millard, and a few others are the ones I call- and often, one wont have something, another will, and price per pound can get crazy, depends on alloy, shape, and so on. 2" square tube in bronze, for example, can be mighty pricey.

Bottom line, though- 8 billion people on earth, and every one of em wants electric lights, a fridge, and a washing machine.
the demand for copper is never going to drop, until somebody invents a wire that conducts electricity made from mushrooms or recycled pop bottles.

You seem to be very knowledgeable on a lot of subjects, a really smart guy, but your political leanings baffle me.

Back