What's new
What's new

Corner rounding endmills in a vmc.

T Bigelow

Plastic
For a future production job my company plans to use a carbide corner rounding end mill (possibly coated) with a .140 radius on 36in long bars of 4340 steel. This type of cutter is available from Harvey tool and can be custom made by helical tool, however neither manufacturer provides info on how to attain proper speeds and feeds. I'm assuming that you wouldn't run this type of cutter at the same SFM as a standard end mill. Any chance someone can point me in the direction of accurate applications info and guidelines for using this type of cutter in a vmc.

Thanks,
Tom

You can use the same SFM as a regular end mill but the feed needs to be a bit slower. I use DataFlute end mills and they recommend 150-300 SFM with .0007 chip load per tooth for 43XX Steel. I'll attach a screen shot of the recommended speeds and feeds from DataFlute.

Attachments

• DataFlute_SS.jpg
    DataFlute_SS.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 9,345
At .140 radius, you might consider knocking the corner off with a chamfer tool first. Might save you a rough and finish pass with the corner rounder.

That's a great Idea, I've done that while cutting 316 SS that required a 1/4 corner radius.

Back