What's new
What's new

Cost of not disconnecting a scrap vehicle's battery...

In New Zealand ,Jap market used cars are OK ,as a result you can buy a 1 year old Jap sedan for under $2000 NZ +tax..........here in Oz there are all sorts of artifical barriers to import cars.....in other words the new car importers bribed the govt to keep out the cheap competition.

Give examples of these “artificial barriers” John.

Everything about that stupid program has been a total cluster-flock. But Scottl thinks the littoral combat ship will have the world quaking in terror. Funny :)

That fiasco was unreal. What a mess. The fact is some punishment should come down for this. As far as retired Admirals reaching the real spotlight and receiving punishment I expect nothing as now a days leadership in politics and law are largely not punished nor even ostracized much at all.

Punishment is highly valued in our society and it seems most enjoyable when it is unjust. That seems to make all of the responsible bad actors feel good about their lives. This in itself is a very good argument for a divine being one who is just. Evidence of that being the case is quite elusive really upon close examination of the status quo.

Ries said:
The Australian government makes no bones about the fact that their laws are written to do everything possible to discourage importing vehicles. There are pages of rules, and taxes, fees, and tariffs. There is a quarantine inspection, where if they decide the car is not clean enough, they refuse to let it in. It costs thousands of Aus Dollars to get a used car in, and it must be on the Registry of Approved vehicles. If you bought a pickup for 10,000 Au$, they would charge you GST on 14,300 Au$
Hence, not many beater F150s.

Not entirely accurate.

Short of some stupid hypercar or commercial bodybuilding and ute trays, no point in the government trying to discourage anything, as everything is now imported and treated the same on tax, unless a "lux" threshold is passed. Plenty of used Japanese and Euro stuff still comes in subject to the exact same requirements.

Imports are not subject to the far more protectionist US 25 year rule....although why you'd want to have a rhd there, other than fulfilling some fast and furious fantasy still mystifies? :nutter:

Ram is present locally, selling a few, economics of it must be pretty marginal though. Still a handful of the banger era Fs with the steering wheel on the correct side kicking around, which I think were CKD, if people truly wanted their Marlboro Man nostalgia.

The latest and most effective barrier yet is asbestos......if customs/border force say your import contains asbestos.....you must disprove them....or the import is confiscated and destroyed and you are penalized 3x what they think the value is......There is no tolerance level for asbestos ,as in many other countries,its zero.

If I can tag on here..

A large yacht just burned out here over the weekend.

Brand new lithium house battery bank.
Charge parameters not met and they cooked off.
I am betting the boat is a write off- total loss.

Well I like the advantages these new batteries have but honestly I wouldn’t put them on my boat.

I guess I would caution anyone who is setting up systems to use real care.
Miss one parameter and a disastrous fire may result.

There is one of the "joke" sized yankee pickups local ..a Ford 450....all sorts of quality stuff like fake plas- chrome wheel nuts ,pickup bed made of a bit of moulded plastic.....the giant thing takes up four parking spaces ...the old (80yr?) owner cant back the giant joke ,even with the help of a crew of 60 year old groupie chicks.....last time I saw it he was stuck in the mall parking lot ,and had to call the towies to get it out .......Not all yank tanks,tho.....there is also a Benz mobile home Ive seen stuck in a parking area....Must be 30 ft long .....reckon next time it gets left home and the Tesla taken shopping.
W-O-W.....doo you always hold all Americans in such Hi-regard ?

Just wait.
Electric cars are going to pose a whole new problem for firefighters.
Richard Hammond Crashes A $1 Million Rimac Concept One | The Grand Tour - YouTube
Watch starting at 8:00. It sure is fast.
Reportedly burned for 5 days as the fire was put out and then started back up later.
Much work is going into batteries that don't do this but not solved yet.
EV fires are tough to fight and pose new hazards. Inside the race to get responders ready. - YouTube
Bob

A tesla battery on fire takes at least 8000 gallons of water to fully cool and extinguish...just the battery not the rest of the car lol...

Our engine holds 1250 and our tender holds 2750...probably gonna need mutual aid lol

A tesla battery on fire takes at least 8000 gallons of water to fully cool and extinguish...just the battery not the rest of the car lol...

Our engine holds 1250 and our tender holds 2750...probably gonna need mutual aid lol
....and the qty (8,000) gallons of runoff ???

Was the battery rated for shipboard use? Wonder if there's going to be any issues with insurance...

[Bloody hell, spell check isn't great with this new software]

Yeah- marine gear $$$$$$

Batteries live hard in boats.
A guy will spend ten grand on a Rolls/Surrette deep cycle house bank and kill them in two years by leaving them flat.

Lots of screw ups with batteries but the penalty for these new cells is high.

Back