What's new
What's new

Countersink dimension

dcrace

Aluminum
Quick question to hopefully resolve an ongoing question here. I have a drawing with a countersink callout .063 x 80°. Conflict here is if the .063 is radially or depth? I was taught that if it was dimensioned as such, the value was radially but our slightly green QC guy tends to disagree. Thanks in advance!

1656079062836.png

Radially. I can't recall the last time I've see a standard countersink called out as a depth.
My question is why 80 degree and not 82 degree?

Could be a young engineer who wants the top on the head to intersect the CB.
..and if so he is the opposite of getting what he wants.

Plus if not having a TC grinder add $150 (or what) for a special cutter.

It's an old print from the 90's, customer inspects this with a wax/silicone impression so we have to hold it.. and they won't change it because "that's the way we have been making it for years and it works" Not sure why the 80° either as it's just a lead for a screw and not for a flat head screw. We run this in batches of about 5-10K pcs. every other month in one of our swiss and it has an oversize minor diameter for the thread so we have a step drill made with the c'sink ground anyways. Thanks to all for the input.

Radially. I can't recall the last time I've see a standard countersink called out as a depth.
My question is why 80 degree and not 82 degree?
Probably has a +- 2deg tolerance and everyone just said "OK." Besides, how many people actually inspect the angle of a countersink???

Or maybe when they designed this there was a bargain on rejected countersinks at the local hardware store.

Back