What's new
What's new

Craftsman 101.07301 belt change.

Problematique

Plastic
Hi all, i’m new but i saw that questions about these are supposed to be in this part of the forum.

I’m new to any and all machining but have been a mechanic for a long time. I purchased this craftsman lathe for a steal, but it has no belts. I’ve figured out part of the belt change but can’t get this other part. I’ll post pics and if anyone can tell me or direct me to disassemble this thing, you’d be my hero. Thanks in advance!
0F934EE7-096F-4DFF-905D-B6A1A3BC34CC.jpeg

Attachments

• 8CDFB80D-37B7-4F50-8D54-21984BB02C38.jpeg
    8CDFB80D-37B7-4F50-8D54-21984BB02C38.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 8

Please read the sticky threads on the top of the antique forum about posting guidelines. That said, as mod I am bending the rules to allow some forms of discussion related to Atlas/Craftsman machine tools. The forum owner generally proscribes any detailed discussion about them- but I will permit it if the conversation is limited to methods and techniques applicable to manual lathes.

Thank you for that diagram. I was pretty sure that I was dealing with a roll pin in that rear shaft handle. I couldn't get it to budge but i'll keep at it. Thanks again

You can get a segmented belt (maybe someone knows a more correct name) that will allow you to install a new belt without removing the spindle and back gear shafts. I seem to recall someone mentioning that the ones HF sells are pretty good and do not impart vibration to the machine, which some of those type belts do.

Edit: this one https://www.harborfreight.com/vibration-free-link-belt-43771.html
Thank you for the link! I have seen people running those belts on the craftsman/atlas stuff before. I used to see those belts on cars before and they never held up. I was given two Gates kevlar belts when i bought the machine so i’m being hard headed and gonna try to use those. Thanks

Thank you for the link! I have seen people running those belts on the craftsman/atlas stuff before. I used to see those belts on cars before and they never held up. I was given two Gates kevlar belts when i bought the machine so i’m being hard headed and gonna try to use those. Thanks
RPM's/SFPM on a car is going to be a lot higher, so I can see them not lasting long there. I've never tried one either. Tip for removing taper pin, you want to give it a good deliberate whack, not lots of little taps, good luck, they can be a bugger.

The Fenner drive type link belts that dalmationgirl61 mentioned actually do work pretty well on machinery - Many put them on a machine to reduce vibration.
The one thing to beware of, is that they tend to wear alloy pulleys more than the rubber ones.

Please read the sticky threads on the top of the antique forum about posting guidelines. That said, as mod I am bending the rules to allow some forms of discussion related to Atlas/Craftsman machine tools. The forum owner generally proscribes any detailed discussion about them- but I will permit it if the conversation is limited to methods and techniques applicable to manual lathes.

Greg - Thanks for doing this. I see "bending the rules" in this case as entirely appropriate. Classifying the appropriateness of these little Atlas lathes for PM's forums is understandably difficult. They are of course hobbyist lathes with a small work envelope, and with little usefulness in a typical modern production environment. However, back in the day in which they were manufactured they were designed with real, honest machine features, scaled back to fit the budgets and wants of the intended buyers. Owing to what I see as relatively sound design and relatively robust construction, these little Atlases are still around and working. All of that stands in contrast to the godawful flimsiness of most of the small machines which PM has rightly consigned to the verboten list.

I am not advocating changes in this forum's rules governing this list, but do applaud the occasional recognition that some of these small old machines have construction, manufacturing, and machining features of serious interest.

-Marty-

Last edited:

Back