What's new
What's new

Craftsman drill press score

DrHook

Hot Rolled
DRILL1.jpgDRILL2.jpgDRILL3.jpg
I picked this old Craftsman drill press up cheap.
The table has been mutilated completely, and the quill lock handle is missing, but it functions as it should. Needs a good cleaning and a new cord, and a better repair on the table. Does anyone know how to decipher the serial tag, for a manufacture date? I am just guessing March of 61, but I have no clue.

My son has that same machine, light duty but lasts near forever.
Table hacks don't hurt its use.
Hereabouts they go for about $100 - $200 like money in the bank because they keep going up.

I met a fellow who ran a small drill and tapa of a small part with such drill presses with a vibrating feeder and an air compressor small cylinder to move the parts along, who made his living from such production.

Last edited:
That will be a nice drill - The hi-lo pulley is an excellent bonus!
Bead blast the rust out of the arc, make some little dams from masking tape for the center hole, the slots, and the outside edges, and pour it full of Devcon liquid aluminum. Grind it flat and it'll look great !

Nice little putt putt in the background, BTW ;~)

That will be a nice drill - The hi-lo pulley is an excellent bonus!
Bead blast the rust out of the arc, make some little dams from masking tape for the center hole, the slots, and the outside edges, and pour it full of Devcon liquid aluminum. Grind it flat and it'll look great !

Nice little putt putt in the background, BTW ;~)
The "Arc" was done so efficiently that there is already a plate "welded" to the bottom of the table to hold it together. :rolleyes5:
I will check into the Devcon, as I hadn't heard of that. I was thinking either epoxy or a cover plate, or maybe just fab a new table...
The putt putt is a 150" wheelbase T-bucket altered with a 4-link rear and 540" Chevy project. She should scoot right along on "full send"..:D

You could probably find a table (maybe not original Craftsman) by measuring the column, and finding one to fit - Atlas, Walker Turner, etc, etc
Maybe put a WTB ad on the OWWM site - A lot of people there have multiple drill presses and parts, and so a good chance to find a usable table there.

Devcon IS a liquid epoxy - It comes with different metal contents. Strangely enough, the aluminum filled stuff is a better match for ground cast iron - The iron filled variety is too dark. Go figure

Back