What's new
What's new

Craigslist funny time!

That one I recall is a old Niles lathe.. Guessing has four bed sections weighing in at about 20K per section!
Now, I'll have to look, might be the control was GE........still have the auction catalog. When it gets to outsize equipment, it's nearly valuable as McMaster-Carr.

I visited Drill Quip back in 2016 there about. That Meuser lathe was setting out on the tarmac in pieces awaiting when it was going to be rebuilt. Drill Quip has their own rebuild shop where they rebuild the machines they put in their shop. IDK if they actually did all of the rebuilding of that lathe there or if that was outsourced.

I could be talking about another lathe, too!
Good. Maybe Ox will find that funny.
Funny started with a pedestal Axelson @ 19800 pounds; when a full bed Pacemaker "C" was a few hundred per foot added to base weight. Our favorite lathes, those above, + Monarch, Hendy, P&W, L&S etc did not skimp on iron.
Ran the Way-Back Machine, at idle, just 1995 afterall.
We're both wrong, by a mile. The shaft lathes were a Betts and a Farrell.20230308_120843~2.jpg
20230308_120937~2.jpg
20230308_120949~3.jpg

Last edited:
A carpeted roof seems like an odd place to change tires. Gotta be careful that the mount/dismount bar doesn't slip while yer givin' it the heave ho... But the rubber boots oughta give ya good traction... and maybe a softer landing.
1678385351007.png

Uh................maybe I'm out of the loop, but when did made in China vises even become "collectable"? Rusty, beat up & used makes something vintage? FIRM PRICE in all caps, and $200. A 5" vise is large? Maybe he's been listening to AVE about holding your dick in a vise?:D I doubt that worthless boat anchor was $50 whenever it was bought within the last 20 years. And after about 3 milliseconds of thought, I'll stick with my built in England and before they started corner cutting Record. Which still ain't vintage, and without question, a lot older than that POS.

Was at an auction in Houston yesterday. Had a Meuser lathe, 86" X 82 FEET. In process of retro fitting. Pallets full of Fanuc 32i parts. Sold for over 200K.

Prices on other stuff was crazy. Mazak 60-3000 over 170K. 3 G&L twin pallet HBMs went for 3K each.

It's funny, I was sitting at my desk ready to bid on at that auction and I couldn't believe the amount some of the equipment was going for, like you say. I was joking that there must be something in the kool-aid there but then the machine I wanted came up and I won it, probably one of the only machines that went for a reasonable price, especially when you consider how well Dril-Quip took care of their machines, the control retrofit they had put on it, and the capacity of the machine itself. When the Schunk pneumatic chucks came up they went for $8250 each and the buyer purchased all 4 at that price. Once you add the auction fees and state taxes that is over 10k per chuck, but worth it if you have machines of that capacity that need chucks, I can only imagine how much those are new. If you want to see unbelievable used CNC prices, just look at machines in my area.

I'm a long way from Houston so my shipping is really expensive otherwise I would have easily considered one of those boring mills. To have to pay someone else to prepare it for shipping and then the cost of that shipping it almost doesn't matter how cheap you could get it for.

That Meuser lathe was huge. I hope whomever bought it gives it the love it needs. For the price they paid for it I would hope so, it didn't even include the one turret that was designed for it.

"This is a 25,000 dollar piece of equipment to get something brand new"

It's funny, I was sitting at my desk ready to bid on at that auction and I couldn't believe the amount some of the equipment was going for, like you say. I was joking that there must be something in the kool-aid there but then the machine I wanted came up and I won it, probably one of the only machines that went for a reasonable price, especially when you consider how well Dril-Quip took care of their machines, the control retrofit they had put on it, and the capacity of the machine itself. When the Schunk pneumatic chucks came up they went for $8250 each and the buyer purchased all 4 at that price. Once you add the auction fees and state taxes that is over 10k per chuck, but worth it if you have machines of that capacity that need chucks, I can only imagine how much those are new. If you want to see unbelievable used CNC prices, just look at machines in my area.

I'm a long way from Houston so my shipping is really expensive otherwise I would have easily considered one of those boring mills. To have to pay someone else to prepare it for shipping and then the cost of that shipping it almost doesn't matter how cheap you could get it for.

That Meuser lathe was huge. I hope whomever bought it gives it the love it needs. For the price they paid for it I would hope so, it didn't even include the one turret that was designed for it.
I've been following local auctions (central, north and south Texas) for a couple of years now and it varies hugely. Machines from clean shops get high prices, usually they're bought for export to Mexico or elsewhere (one went to Australia from the last auction). Tooling is the same - high dollar stuff is going for 50% of new, hand tooling sometimes goes for 110% of new when taxes and fees are figured in. There was one in San Antonio that looked just like a money laundering operation - 5pc lots of import 6" digital calipers going for $150 all in..

I make my money and equip my hobby shop from either the scuzzy shops or the random "everything under the bench" box-of-chocolate lots. Those are fun

Back